Chapter 63: Coping With The News

"Hey mom," Callie says to her mom after a few rings.

            "Hi sweetie," her mom greets. "It's good to hear from you."

            "Are you busy?" Callie asks.

            "Nope, just sitting outside reading. What's up?"

            "I need to talk to you," Callie's voice shaking a little.

             "Honey are you okay?" sensing her daughter's shakiness in her voice. "What happened? Why do you sound like you're going to cry?"

             "Because I am," Callie says before bursting out into tears. "I wish you weren't so far away."

             "Are you hurt? Where's Josh?" her mom asks panicky.

             "He's leaving," Callie chokes out, wiping her eyes.

            "What do you mean he's leaving?" her mom asks confused. "Is he breaking up with you?"

             "No," Callie sniffles. "He received deployment orders a few days ago. He's being sent to Afghanistan for eight months."

             The line is silent for a few moments, her mother taking in the news. Callie looks over at Kaiser who is playing with blocks and having no idea about the whole situation. "When does he fly out?" her mom finally asks.

             "The end of the week."

             Callie hears her mom sigh on the other end. "Do you want me to fly there or do you want to fly here after he leaves? I imagine having extra hands to help with Kaiser would be beneficial," her mom suggests.

              "You can fly up here if you want. I can't leave here because of work, but Hannah and Emily said they'd come to stay with me if I needed them."

             "Well, you can count on me to be there honey. Stay strong and keep your head up. I know Josh has to be just as disappointed as you are."

              "He's going to miss so much mom," Callie says.

             "I know baby, but that's the sacrifice he made when he joined and that's the sacrifice you made by having a baby with him and deciding that you're going to spend the rest of your life with him. You're a military fiancée and soon to be military wife," her mom says. "He'll come back, you just have to believe."

             Callie listens to her mom's words, taking a deep breath and letting it out. "I love you."

               "I love you too. Kiss my adorable grandbaby for me and hug Josh extra tight for me,"

              "Okay," Callie says softly, looking over at her son.