Chapter 4

After the funeral Jane just sat in her room to avoid all the Hargreeves children having enough social interaction for the day

After the funeral Jane just sat in her room to avoid all the Hargreeves children having enough social interaction for the day. She began painting like she normally would be if no one was around when Diego cleared his throat from her bedroom door frame with a smile. "You ready to go on our mission princess." Diego said with a smirk and a glint in his eye. Jane didn't even blink an eye as a giant smile came to her face and she nodded excitedly.

"Let me just get changed." She laughed as she went to grab a more comfy outfit for tonight's adventure. Happy to finally get out of the dress Grace had put her in. She grabbed a simple pair of black leggings, a black v neck and a leather jacket. She walked towards her door to shut it and his teasing demeanor she tensed. "Can I watch?" Diego teased obviously joking but the second he said it a look of pure sadness and fear crossed Janes face. Before he could apologize thinking he had offended her a new personality came to the front.

Harlot Scarlet.

The other personalities were trying to fight their way out to defend Jane. And Scarlet was nothing more then a flirt, but she held control of the body at the moment as a look of sultry crossed her face. Diego could tell this wasn't Jane but he had no idea who she was either. "Well if you really want to" Scarlet flirted making Diego blush and shake his head immediately. "Um- a- no I was j-j- just being sarcastic..... I'm Diego and you are?" He stuttered  a little unsettled by how much she was looking at nothing but his body.

"I'm Scarlet the Harlot. I've been excited to meet you." She said her eyes looking at him in a hungriest way making him gulp uncomfortably. "Could I see Jane please." He tried to say with a strong voice that died out at the pout she suddenly had. "Awe you don't wanna play with me?" She asked with puppy dog eyes and a lip pout making him stare at her funny.

Before Scarlet could say anything else Jane was back and a blushing mess. "I'm so sorry! She's just very..... flirtatious." Jane trailed off looking at the clothes in her hands in embarrassment. Diego suddenly felt awkward and cleared his throat. "It's fine she just kind of took me off guard is all..... I must have set her off with my comment and I'm sorry. I was just being sarcastic I didn't mean anything by it." He said feeling guilty that he had triggered a change in the first place.

"It's okay....... it's not your fault. Besides I'm used to this happening........... it could be something so small and I just-" she said cutting herself off by looking at her feet. Diego felt bad for the girl, she had no control over her own body. He couldn't imagine 60+ people watching and judging every little thing you do and just being able to butt in whenever they want. "Well I just want you to know that I'm not gonna pretend that I know how it feels. I can tell your uneasy but believe me I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you ever. That's why I do these missions at night, being a vigilante I save those that can't save themselves." He explained hoping to get Jane to trust he wasn't a villain but she still stayed tense.

"I'll let you get changed. I'll be waiting outside." He said with a curt nod before striding out into the hallway closing the door behind him. Jane immediately rushed forward locking the door and calming her breathing. Diego heard the lock but didn't take it personal due to his earlier comment that seemed to set Jane off. He didn't understand why it affected her the way it had, maybe he knew subconsciously but he'd never admit it to himself. He refused to believe something so nasty and awful could happen to someone as amazing as Jane.