53

~ phoenix ~

The hallucination was getting too close for comfort. Literally.

The spirit of Ilya shoved past drunk dancers, storming in my direction.

Aliena seemed to notice my distractedness and arched her neck to see what had stolen my attention. Her eyes widened.

Wait... she could see it too? The hallucination wasn't a hallucination?

Oops?

Actually, no oops. We were done. That fucker could find himself another fucking Phoenix.

Despite the hurt that came with that thought, I grabbed Aliena's mouth and plastered it back onto mine.

She complied without complaint.

I was utterly outraged when I was ripped from beneath her and into his punishing embrace.

So he really wasn't just a figment of my imagination... Only the real Ilya would dare to manhandle me like that. Strangely, I wanted to sigh with content.

In fear that my mouth would actually betray me, I sealed it and instead cursed him with my eyes.

Ilya seemed to not notice my disgruntlement but instead, his gaze drank in my appearance, darkening when he noticed the blemishes. A familiar calloused thumb grazed my bruised cheek. I winced.

"Who did this to you?" he snarled.

The sound of his voice snapped me back into reality. I struggled to escape his steely arms.

Finally, when I realised it was futile, I glared up at him. "Let. Me. Go."

"No," he seethed, "what's wrong with you?"

Oh my god, he had the nerve to - to question what was wrong with me?!

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I screamed. "Let me fucking go already, you monster! I HATE YOU!"

Stunned, his grip loosened. I used that as an opportunity to slip away and into the crowd. With blurry vision and an awful memory, I couldn't remember which way we'd come.

Breathe. Breathe.

But I couldn't. My chest was suddenly too tight.

He lied.

I clawed at it, gasping for oxygen.

He lied.

Long moments passed where I couldn't force air into my lungs. Head spinning, I collapsed on all four.

He lied.

"Phoenix!"

Strong hands were pulling me back up against a solid chest. I fisted his shirt in my hands.

"Breathe, baby," he cooed in my ear. "I'm sorry for whatever I did. I love you."

He loves you-

"No!" I sobbed, lurching back, "You're a liar!"

Ilya reached for me again. I didn't fight anymore. All my energy had dissipated.

"I'll fix it, Phoenix, I promise," he murmured, sadly.

My heart twisted painfully. He had no right to make me feel like this.

"Please come home, baby."

I cried. No, not again.

"Take me home, Ilya," I begged, "home."

His face contorted in pain. "If that's what you want, baby."

"Promise?" I pressed, searching his gaze desperately.

I reached up to his face, forcing his eyes on me, searching desperately. Why were his cheeks damp?

Finally, he whispered, voice broken, "I promise."

NOTE:
Shortest chapter I think in the book but it kinda needs to be you know?
God, I'm so excited for the end!!! Philya aren't going down without a bang!
xo, Rosavi

EDIT ~ I'm gonna do an FAQ page, with questions from you guys.
For example, 'why the hell is Phoenix so stupid' where I will try my best to defend my babies even though you guys are probably right...
So any questions? Drop them here: