Chapter Two (Ace's POV)

"You're a softy."

"I'm curious about the case."

"You feel sorry for him."

"I want to solve the case because it's clear something is there."

"Sucker."

"So did you want to go see them light the Christmas tree downtown or-"

Zanie rolled her eyes, pulling open the fridge door. "So where are we starting?" 

"I've set the board up, and the running list of suspects from the old case. I also pulled up any information that I could find on the snow globe and the factory that burned down-and the girls family." Mars exited his room, adjusting his suit jacket. "Any other information I could pull up is in the doc-I need to get going."

"Thanks-hey were you able to trace any of them on ebay or-"

"Two possible sellers, I emailed them, haven't heard back. I'll let you know if I do."

Nodding I cut the laptop on.

"What's with the rush Speed Racer?" Zanie's voice came muffled from the fridge, though clearly directed at Mars.

"I'm helping them set up for the Christmas Play at church."

"Since when were you such a good person?" She grimaced, pulling out a box of cheerios from the fridge, she stepped into the living room.

"If you need anything just call me." Mars glanced at me before turning his attention to Zanie. "Christmas doesn't bite you know."

"No, it backstabs." She quipped, before nudging me. "C'mon let's just get this thing started."

Mars took that as his leave, a few minutes of silence passing as the computer booted up.

"You never did clarify what caused this loathing for Christmas." I glanced at her, and back at the computer as I typed in the password.

"I don't loath Christmas I just appreciate it differently."

"Sure with hatred and malice."

"And why are you so over-protective of a commercial holiday?"

"At what point is me asking you why you despise Christmas being over-protective?"

She sighed, watching as I clarified the connection between the laptop and tv screen.

"So what's the police list of suspects look like?"

"Mostly possible connections to previous child abductors."

"That's not a bad place to start."

"There wasn't a lead to be found there." I watched as the chart booted up on the screen, taking a step back. "Let's start from scratch."

"You always say that like it's some new and improved idea you have."

"Just the only idea I have." I admitted, clearing the board I created a new save. "Case is fourteen year old Maddie Hanes, went missing one morning before school, was last seen at the bus stop by her brother and some neighborhood kids that were two years younger than her."

Tipping the cereal box upside down she dumped it in her mouth, before taking a moment to chew.

"What would be a question you could ask?"

"I'm supposed to answer this?"

Fighting back an agitated sigh, I shot a glare in your direction.  "If you're training for a badge and want a recommendation."