4

[chapter 4]

Under the light of the golden sun, he seemed ethereal. His black hair that reminded her of the midnight sky and his tan skin that was only emphasized by the golden rays.

She felt like an obsessed stalker, a thought that quickly had her turning her gaze somewhere else.

Tonight was a special night. For it was the night of The Party. "The Party" was a coined term given to the first Friday of the school year.

It was the first weekend the kids were allowed to go home but nobody actually went home the first weekend.

Instead they spent Friday night at Jack Daniel's summer house, either passing out in one of the various rooms or checking themselves into one of the hotels nearby.

For Estrella and her friend group was the reserved top floor of the house, their place of solitude for the weekend.

But you see, "The Party" never ended. It was an all night rager that sometimes went into the next night. It was the ultimate mix of illegally smuggled alcohol and coke passed around on a silver platter.

Nobody survived and everybody went.

However Estrella never expected everybody to include Achilles.

He was already a known recluse, even though only one week had passed. His presence almost made Estrella shameful for wearing the tightest latex red dress she owned.

Almost being the keyword here. Estrella Preseley never let what a man would think of her control her actions.

Jack's house was humongous. It was a summer house that exceeded expectations and yet made perfect sense. Jack's parents were known to be a bit eclectic, known for their extravagant lifestyle that mirrored the Versace mansion.

However Jack himself was a bit of a recluse. Jack Daniels. Jack who never said a word. Jack whose face remained sad, his eyes full of hurt. Jack the philosopher, who knew Aristotle and Socrates by heart.

Jack who hadn't seen his parents in five years.

Jack who spent all his winter and summer breaks alone.

Jack who never had someone to nurture him when sick.

Jack who never had someone to share his happiness with.

Jack who picked up a bottle at age eleven and never put it down.

Jack who overdosed twice last year.

Jack who disappeared for four months last year.

Jack who attempted suicide twice last year.

Jack whose parents still never came home. Not even a call, not even a card.

He was known to throw the best parties but he never quite appeared at them for long.

So when Estrella felt bored, suffocated by all the people staring at her, she knew exactly where to go.

Slowly she made her way up the servants spiral staircase, all the way up to the attic where one of the old servant quarters was.

Her tall red heels clicked against the fragile wooden floors, almost scaring her into thinking she'll fall.

With tremendous effort she walked across the expansive space until she made it to the window seat where her dear friend awaited.

Jack, as always, nursed a bottle of his namesake as his eyes remained fixed on the party going on outside.