Chapter 68: Homesick

Laying on his back, his hands folded against his chest, he looks up at the ceiling of the tent. The moment getting closer to when he'll see his family again. He picks up a photo of Kaiser, Callie and himself at Kaiser's first birthday party.

            "Hey man," Lance Corporal Eric Morris greeting Josh before sitting down on the cot beside him. "What are you doing?"

            "Nothing, just relaxing. Thinking about my family," Josh answers.

            "That your family?" Morris asks, nodding over to the photo.

            "Uh yeah," Josh nods, sitting up.

             "How long have you been married?"

            "Um, we're engaged actually. We've been together for a while. Known each other for even longer."

            "Ah, I see. How old is your boy?"

            "He's about one and a half. His name is Kaiser."

            "Kaiser huh? That's unique. Well, at least he's young."

            "Yeah," Josh looks down at the photo. "You have a family?"

            "Yep, a wife. I've been married for ten years. I have twin girls that are nine and a six year old boy."

             "How much longer do you have out in this shithole?" Josh asks.

            "Only two months left. I'm ready to be home with my family."

            "Yeah, I hear you. I only have three months left myself. I've been gone for five months already. So I'm ready."

            "Well you're almost there," Morris smiles. "You have to fight through these last months. Literally," winking at Josh.