09. sniper on the loose

"Okay, shooters." David Miller called through the radio. "They're moving towards the cave. Let the king go."

I let out a shaky sigh, adjusting my body so that my gun was no longer focused on Roan. Instead, I pointed it at Echo, deciding that if I got to shoot anyone, I wanted it to be her. 

However, while most of us had listened to David's orders, not everyone had. A green laser still followed the king as he and Clarke made for the cave. 

"What the hell." I muttered, following the laser from the king up to the rock ledge not far from where I was. My eyes landed on Riley, a determined look on his face as he held his ground. 

"Damn it , what are you doing, Riley? Your target is the army. Clarke is negotiating with their king." Monty demanded over the radio, he too seeming to pinpoint Riley as the culprit despite the fact that he and Harper were across the ravine from Riley and I.  "Stop targeting. Over. Riley, respond."

I watched as Riley hastily rose the walkie to his lips. "Negotiating with these people is a waste of time. We have the high ground. We have a guns. We should just take them out."

I let out an angry breath as I pulled my walkie up to my mouth. "Yeah, and they have a sword to Bellamy and Kane's throats. The minute we fire a single shot they're both dead. So stand the hell down."

"We stick to the plan." Monty ordered.

Riley was quick with his response, and he seemed increasingly angered. "You really think Ice Nation gives a damn about your plan? I have a clear shot on the king."

I looked up to where he was stationed, trying to gage how I could get to him without exposing myself to the archers below. I knew what Ice Nation had done to Riley, so it was completely understandable where his anger was coming from. But he couldn't stray from the plan...one wrong shot and everything would be ruined.

"This is a tinder box." Monty responded. "One shot and we'll be at war."

When Riley still didn't move his focus away from the Roan, Monty spoke again. "If you do this, it will be a massacre. You need to stand down right now."

I waited a few moments, my eyes flickering between the army down below and Riley. "Riley, stand down." I ordered, my heart pounding in my chest in anxiety. "Please."

After a few heart pounding seconds, Riley finally surrendered, and his laser sight was finally taken off of the king. 

I let out a deep sigh of relief, thankful that we didn't have a war on our hands quite yet. 

---

The sun was hot on my back as I laid against the hard stone, my muscles beginning to cramp from remaining in the same position for too long.

Clarke and Roan were bound to be close to the cave at this point, but so far we had heard nothing. 

"All units radio check." The sound of David's voice coming through the walkie caused me to jump, startled by the sound for a moment.

"Unit one." he called. 

"Unit one, check." Monty responded almost instantaneously. 

"Unit two."

Silence. 

"Unit two." David repeated more sternly. "Riley, where are you?"

It was at this point, for the first time since Clarke and Roan had disappeared from our view that I tore my eyes off of the army below, craning my neck to search for Riley.