2. BLASTED BUTTONS

⊹.⋆°•*⁀➷ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖔𝖓𝖊 ✧・゚: *✧・゚

𝑨𝑺𝑻𝑹𝑶𝑷𝑯𝑰𝑳𝑰𝑨

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Eva definitely would not say breakfast is a highlight of her day.

She also would not say it has to do with the food - Hogwarts breakfast is something imposing altogether; every attendee of Hogwarts would agree.

Her issue with the early morning activity is, well, that it is early in the morning. She does not mean to be some teenager with weird hormones and sleeping patterns, but she must say that sleep is something she values above...many other things.

She loves the softness, the quiet, the sense of rest. She could not want anything more than to lay down and be enveloped by that silence and warmth.

Though here she is, another day she has lived life to see a grand school breakfast.

Eva sank down into her accustomed spot at the outer edge of the Ravenclaw table. She plucks up a slice of toast and slather it with sweet orange marmalade, following with a few pieces of bacon and eggs onto her plate, before pouring herself a glass of pumpkin juice.

With her copy of 'The Standard Book of Spells' open in hand, she began munching down on her breakfast.

Halfway through the book's chapter on the Engorgement Charm, with a plop, two people sit down on the right side of her. She flinches involuntarily, dropping her toast onto her plate. Swerving her brown-haired head around to her side, she sees the two people are in fact, possibly, her two favorite people on the entire planet; Kaelyn Heathers and Adan Lamond.

"G' morning, Eva," they both chorus.

Eva scrunches her nose, almost in disgust, at how cute they are. Their fingers are laced together, Adan's dark eyes glimmering with adoration and Kaelyn's pale cheeks now dusted with pink. The girl's blue eyes hold the same flicker of passion as his. The best relationships are often when people are not the same, yet complimentary, each bringing qualities that help the other. That is why Eva thinks their relationship is so good for each other. They just go with the flow, let each day build a picture until they feel certain that when they are with each other they are a better and happier version of themselves. It is adorable, really, but they often, unknowingly, make their friend feel quite lonely.

"Oh, it is you two," she says with a sigh, though quite the opposite of disappointment. "Good morning Kaelyn, good morning Adan."

"Your schedule's students," Professor Flitwick says, suddenly appearing behind the three Ravenclaws.

"Yes, of course, thank you, professor," Kaelyn smiles, taking the slip of paper held out to her. She takes ours too, then hands them to us.

"It looks like we have two free periods to start the day," Adan tells us, reading off of their identical schedules. "Then Transfiguration, Herbology, History of Magic, and Astronomy."

Kaelyn scrunches up her nose. "I would rather have Potions than the History of Magic. Binn's gets on my nerves."

"Well it is not your choice, is it Kaelyn," she laughed airly. "If it was, you would spend the whole day in the Care of Magical Creatures."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Laughter sounds along the halls joined with exciting conversations and shouts. Model worthy girls perch on the tables like exotic birds gossiping and giggling, as a quaffle flies above their heads between two quidditch players; who most definitely are not even allowed to have the crimson ball.

The classroom is so warm after the cool autumn outside. Groups of students sit around the room laughing and causing all kinds of ruckus, all except one group that sits silently staring at the textbooks placed in front of them at their desks - way to start studying early Eva supposes. A breath of air brushes past her ear. She follows the breeze and sees a blue striped paper plane gracefully gliding through the air before sliding across the tiled hall to stop with its nose against the wall.

She pauses, suddenly feeling just a bit lighter, a small smile spreading over her face as it belongs there. She pops a lemon drop in her mouth, one she snagged from James' broken jar the morning prior, while her normally ivory cheeks are a rosy champagne pink from the fall air. The aroma of the classroom has a cinnamon perfume and already the room is mostly full. Everything seems so comfortable and safe, so Eva supposes that is why her smile has such staying power today.

"Today we are going to be looking closely at the transfiguration spell of Mutobuprestis, also known informally as Beetle Buttons," Professor McGonagall tells the class, a sea of black with both royal blue and a deep crimson. "You will be turning beetles into buttons. Let your creativity shine with the type of buttons you create. To commence, for those of you who did light reading over the summer, does anyone know why this incantation is Mutobuprestis?"

A Gryffindor on the opposite side of the room from Eva raised her hand, to be called on by the professor.

"The word is derived from Latin, muto, meaning to 'change, alter, or transform', and buprestis meaning 'beetle'," she speaks confidently.

"Very good. 10 points to Gryffindor," McGonagal praises. "To transform your beetle, you will simply tap your wand like so, and you should see a dim white light."

She holds up her button for the class, one that matches the deep pine green of her robes.

"Wells, will you please pass out the beatles? Thank you, dear."

Eva stares at the insect that has been placed in front of her. It begins to scuttle away, so she quickly picks it up and places it back in the center of her desk. She shuddered after rapidly recoiling her fingers, not being quite fond of the large bug. While she knows that the creature is far from harmful, its appearance does not make her desire to go anywhere near it, let alone touch it.

"You may begin."

As she begins to move her wand, the bug moves to the edge of her table. She places it back to its original position.

"Mutobuprestis," she chants.

Glancing down at her bug, she realized it had relocated. Again.

She pinched both sides of the insect, placing it where she could successfully cast the spell. Her eyebrows knit together in concentration as she cast the spell once more. The beetle had managed to shift to the left side of her spell and began racing to the edge of the surface. Eva impatiently seized it again, setting it in the same spot for the fourth time.

"You are supposed to turn the bug into a button, not give it extra exercise," Kaelyn teases from her right.

"Oh, come on, Kay. You just got it."

"Make sure you concentrate on your bug and perfect your aim. Do not wiggle or move your wand unnecessarily," McGonagal tells the class; though Eva is almost completely sure the professor was talking directly to her.

She cast the spell one more time, finally seeing the white light. She grinned as she admired her handiwork. The button was a neon yellow; the color of the candy she was sucking in between her tongue and the roof of her mouth.

"Very good, Potter. 10 points to Ravenclaw."