Chapter 16

KEHLANI'S POV

I finally came home after a few days.

When we pulled up in the driveway of my house, I noticed a white Ford Mustang parked behind my mom's car. Who the hell is this? I thought as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Whose car is 'dat?" Michael asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know."

I got out of the car and exchanged goodbyes with Michael and walked to the front door.

After grabbing my house keys from my purse, I unlocked the door and walked in the house. I heard talking in the kitchen, so I walked to the kitchen to see my mom talking with her arms crossed. I saw a tall man in front her with his back facing me. She quickly stopped talking as soon as she saw me.

"Hey, Kehlani." My mom said and the man turned around.

It was my dad.

I was shocked because I haven't seen or talked to my dad in a few months. Him and I never really talked much when I lived in Texas and when we moved, my dad and I didn't talk at all. I would be lying if I said I wasn't upset at him for not picking up calls and not responding to texts, but I also would be lying if I said I didn't miss him. But I always felt like he needed to try a little harder to communicate with me.

"Hey, Nini." He smiled and I couldn't help but smile at the nickname he's had for me since I was younger. He walked up to me with his arms spread, waiting for me to hug him. I was a little hesitant for a second, but I gave in and hugged him.

"Hey." I said with a small smile on my face. "What are you doin' here." I said as we both pulled back from the hug.

"I wanted to see you." He said and I heard my mom sigh as she went over to the wine cabinet and grabbed a bottle of Stella Rosa. She opened it and got a clean glass from the cabinet and poured a good amount of the wine inside it.

I sensed there was something wrong, because my momma usually doesn't drink wine unless there's something going on. I ignored it and just shrugged it off for now.

"I'm also here because I'm thinking about moving here."

I heard my mom cough as if she choked on what she was drinking. "You said what?" She almost yelled.

"Actually, lemme rephrase that. I am moving here." He said and my mom and I looked at him like he was crazy.

To be honest, it wasn't a bad thing to me, but him moving to New York? What for? What does New York have for him to want to move from Texas?

I had no idea what to say. I was still tryna process what he just said.

"Well, this is good news and all, but I'mma go upstairs now." I finally said after a few moments of awkward silence between the three of us.

I walked out of the kitchen and quickly made my way up to my room. As soon as I got to my room, I sat on my bed and texted the girls group chat and told them about my dad.

****
NARRATOR

Rose sighed and crossed her arms as soon as she heard Kehlani's bedroom door close.

"You know Ro, if you keep makin' that face, it's gonna stay like that forever." Bradley broke the silence between them.

"What are you doin' here?" Rose ignored his statement.

"Like I said, I'm here to see Nini."

"I know that's not the only reason you're here." She rolled her eyes.