Chapter 1 - The Problem

The last thing I remember before everything went to hell was fighting. I fought a particularly annoying rebel with the power to heal all wounds and he would not go down. This fight had been going on for a while. We had gotten word that a Resistance envoy transporting supplies from the modern world to ours would be arriving that morning. We laid a trap and everything but we soon learned that it was the other way around.

The battle between the Union and the Resistance was a nasty one so when we surprised them and engaged in battle all teams fought to kill. We stood outside the gateway to our home and one second it revealed the lush trees of the forest and the next there was an explosion. I was blown back and knocked out. When I woke up a ringing filled my ears and the smell of smoke clouded my senses. I stood on shaking feet and observed the destruction that was my way home. The once circular portal carved of smooth obsidian now laid as nothing more than rubble. I looked to the sky catching the small cloud of smoke disperse but then I notice the second smoke cloud. I took off in a sprint hoping my worst nightmare couldn't be true. A few minutes later I stood in front of the destroyed twin portal of our sister kingdom that lay in debris like the other. Shards of opal scattered the ground and the ethereal glow it always had was no more. I let out a scream of frustration and drop to my knees. One portal was one thing but two was something completely different. It meant no way home. 

Those were the clearest of my memories of that day. The rest was a blur with little fragments of me going back to my team and checking on them then we were devising a plan to get back home but that was it and everything in between was blurry.  

After trying and failing several times to get home we had to face the cold hard truth that we weren't getting back any time soon. We didn't have the knowledge to fix the two portals which were older than time. It was held together by ancient magic long forgotten. So we made a plan. The seven of us would scour the earth to find a way back.  We divided it up by continents excluding Antarctica with me in North America, Maxon in South America, Adelphinnia taking Europe, the British Isles, and a third of Russia, Augustinius in Australia, Cyro in Africa, and the twins, Sage and Seraphine, splitting Asia and the rest of Russia. 

We went our separate ways a week later. I arrived in New York and then traveled to Oregon, the magic centric of our world. I hoped I would find what I was looking for.