Chapter 2 - My Beginning

Life in Oregon was different than life in the Dark Fae kingdom. My home was not only on a different continent but in a different realm. A realm in which the Fae lived a life filled with ball gowns and horse-drawn carriages.

I knew my home and this country had few similarities and many differences and one major difference was their feelings toward the Caperen. The Caperenians are a subspecies of the Dark Fae and the offspring of the Sirens and the Cubare, or the succubi species. They are possibly the most feared species in the Modern Realm because of their ability to take and copy magic and abilities. 

Unlike the ones from European myths, Sirens are not just beautiful women with voices to match. They are so much more. They can take aspects of one's characteristics and put them on themselves. They could do this with multiple characteristics but they would eventually fade, so if a Siren liked your eyes then all they need was a drop of blood. The Cubare could do something similar but instead of taking the aspects they liked, they could take any power or ability they wanted for as long as they wanted but only one at a time. Once the Cubare took a new power the previous one would disappear. The two species by themselves were powerful but together they combined their abilities. The offspring of the two could take any magic, ability, or physical characteristic and keep many at the same time for as long as they wanted. In other words, it was the worst possible scenario with the worst possible outcome.

The two are a dangerous mix and it's understandable why the Modern Realm fears and persecutes them. They are truly terrifying if messed with. The Fae know how to control them. By making it illegal for a Siren and Cubare to have children it controls how many are born. It's common sense that not everyone will follow the law seeing as we cannot help who we love. If someone does break the law, they go to court to see if they intended to have a family or create a weapon. Most just want to start a family and their child is watched closely. Sadly most of the time all the love in the world can't help. The power gets into their minds and corrupts them and there are very few that don't succumb to their darker desires. 

This happened to my mother. She was a Caperen with my grandmother a Siren and my grandfather an Incubus. I had always been told my mother was relatively normal growing up until there was an incident that made her accidentally take someone's power away. After that, she started to become more threatening but hid it well from the Royal Council that watched her closely. When she met my father it got worse. My father was a half Demon and the general for the king's army. Everyone knew my father hated the king but he was good at his job. He didn't like how things were going in the kingdom and hated the Light Fae, at the time peace treaties were being signed to end the Dark versus Light Fae War. My mother, on the other hand, just wanted to watch the world burn. So they planned. After marrying and my mother being allowed to enter the palace at will and with the council off her back, their plan was in motion. A few years later they shocked the kingdom by seizing the throne. They imprisoned the true royal family and started a war with the Light Fae.

The war was long and my parents stayed on the throne for almost a decade before the Light Fae, resisting soldiers, and council members overthrew them. I was three when the Light Fae kicked down my bedroom door. It was said that my maid instantly gave my mother away. The royal children at the time were now adults and took over. The king today was only a teenager at the beginning of the war and luckily had enough training to take the throne immediately. My parents had killed the King and Queen not long after they took over and almost killed the prince and princess but the Light Fae made it a priority to get them out. My parents were sentenced to life in prison while I was sent to live with my uncle.

I was an oddity in the Light and Dark Fae community. I was part Dark Fae, Caperen, and Demon who possessed the powers of all three. It was not long before my uncle realized something was different about me. First, it was my temperament. Whether you were half, a quarter, or a third of a Demon you will always have a nasty temper. I lost my temper very rarely. I had thought of hurting others but I always managed to keep it in. The fear of becoming my parents and ending up in prison kept me calm. But when I did lose it, it was very bad. I had the violence but that was it. Then it was when I accidentally bit someone. The council freaked out. They thought I was done for but still, something was wrong. With my mother, you would know she had done something wrong but you could never guess what or had any proof. With me, I was still the same old kid. No sign of trickery or false childish innocence. They kept an extremely close eye on me after that. They couldn't tell if I just had incredible self-control or maybe I was one of the few where power didn't corrupt my mind.

Years later I was still normal. I grew into my Dark Fae powers like all species in our world and trained like all kids my age. My Dark Fae power was reanimation and illusions while my Fea power was transportation. Everyone in my family had at least one of these or all. My uncle luckily had all so he helped me control them. It was until the gates broke that life sucked a little more.