Chapter 62

Celine was too exhausted and dazed to realize that she was breaking her own rule of inviting guests over. The realization hit her when she noticed Akihiko gawking at the modern interiors of her home. 

The family certainly didn't expect Celine to return this late either, let alone bring the emperor of Krastia with her.

"Our first guest?" Eiji asked in amazement.

"He's not Daizo. . ." Ichika stated, then quietly added, "but he's still handsome." She was struck by the emperor's beautiful features. 

The twins didn't realize who this strange man was, even as the family lowered themselves immediately. They were too mesmerized by his dashing appearance that was on par with Celine's unique features. 

"You may rise. I am only a guest tonight, so please address me casually." Akihiko smiled at the children hiding behind the wall, then motioned the family members to stand. He glanced at Hala for a split second, who in turn squirmed behind Zakai's broad shoulders.

None of the adults knew how to proceed normally and could only nod in response. They avoided eye contact with the emperor and awkwardly moved closer to Celine. 

Meanwhile, the children rushed towards Celine, crowding her with countless questions.

"How was Daizo?"

"How come you returned with someone else?"

"Tell us the full story after you both wash up." The mother pulled the children away, still bewildered by the emperor standing in their house. Because of Celine's modern influence, the architecture of the house was rather odd and otherworldly. That was precisely the reason why the family was forbidden from inviting guests over. Not only did Celine break her own rule, but she invited the emperor!

Celine nodded awkwardly and motioned the emperor to change into warmer clothes in the bathroom. As she showed him around, he took in their home with silence. 

Afterwards, the household gathered around to hear her story. He still remained silent, baffled by the strange light and futuristic style of Celine's home. He observed every aspect of the house from his seat, which earned a suspicious glare from Draco.

"No way! Daizo is a coward!" Ichika howled in laughter. "Wait til my friends hear what he did."

Eiji pursed his lips in disappointment. "He's my favorite teacher. . ."

"Although the accident is unfortunate, it's better that you discovered his true nature early on. We don't need a coward in this family." The mother sighed. "But he truly was the only decent man around us."

Akihiko coughed awkwardly, and the attention shifted towards his direction again.

Ichika and Eiji, who had forgotten his presence, surveyed him again.

"Are you the man who saved Celine then?" Eiji asked curiously.

"Yes. I'm Akihiko." He smiled, seemingly genuine. 

"Well, I think we chatted long enough and it is getting pretty late. Why don't you return now, Akihiko?" Celine intercepted, not wanting the family to welcome him.

The family took the hint and soon dispersed, resuming their nightly activities. While the children and family left the living room, only Celine and Akihiko remained.

"How did you make that?" He pointed at the lightbulb above her, amazed by the advanced technology the house displayed. He fully ignored Celine's pleading eyes that was imploring him to leave immediately. 

"Just.. through experiments..." 

He nodded, deciding not to press her with further questions. He didn't want to be kicked out yet.

"Are you married to Lord Draco?" He asked more seriously. His voice was subtle and calm. Perhaps too calm. 

Celine shook her head. "No. . ."

"Are you married to anyone?"

"No."

"Then why don't you be my empress, Celine."

The statement was filled with such confidence that Celine gawked for a few seconds. She wordlessly stared at the emperor's serious expression.

". . . N-no." She stammered, looking away immediately. 

"Why?" He asked, confused by her blatant rejection.

"I'd rather not involve myself with the court life again. . . and you don't even know me. We've only had a few exchanges." She frowned.

"But you seem to know me quite well. I know you are smart and capable of many things." He looked around the interior of the room again. "You are the only woman who is qualified enough to stay by my side."

"I don't marry men with concubines. I'd rather marry for love." She brushed his reasonings away. "We can be good business partners, but that's all we can be."

"Then be my advisor. You may remain here and visit my palace occasionally. I want your technology in my palace." His eyes glistened with expectation again. For the emperor, Celine was blindingly beautiful. He had never seen such a beauty before, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that she was an intellectual too. He wouldn't mind having such a smart woman by his side. He believed that Celine would eventually accept his offer. 

However, Celine wasn't aware of the lack of women in the emperor's empty harem. She scrunched her face up in response. She was perfectly fine the way she was now. She was content with her honest work and the money she received. If Celine's technology was introduced to the world; they would enter the industrial era early on and speed up climate change.

Despite her rejection, Akihiko insisted on visiting frequently, claiming that she would help  recover the lost memories between them. They often took long walks together, discussing palace and political matters. Akihiko often shared his past, although Celine always corrected his stories. She twisted them around, making him feel as if perhaps he was never too lonely.

As the days passed by, Red and Draco began to play together. Red even followed his old friend like a newborn puppy, which often annoyed Draco.

Sometimes, Akihiko would propose again. He didn't care about regaining his memories, since he already felt a strong attraction towards Celine. He wanted her as empress, especially when he had to marry someone soon.