Chapter 27

I just calculated and found I've wrote around 56k words for this story so far - holy shit! I love how I can write all of this but I complain about 1500 word essays for school.

Cassie felt as though there was a sword hanging over her head over the following two weeks. Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons were going great, but she hasn't heard from the death eaters since she was initiated.

Ever since the first D.A. meeting, they've been a hit with everyone, but it has been almost impossible to fix a regular night for the meetings. Seeing as they had to accommodate the times for things such as Quidditch practices, it kept the timing of their meetings unpredictable. If any of Umbridge's goons were on to them, it would be very hard to make out a pattern.

Hermione soon devised a very clever method of communicating the date and time of the next meeting to all the members in case they needed to change it at short notice, because it would look suspicious if people from different Houses were seen crossing the Great Hall to talk to each other too often. She gave each of the members of the D.A. a fake Galleon.

"You see the numerals around the edge of the coins?" Hermione said, holding one up for examination at the end of their fourth meeting. "On real Galleons that's just a serial number referring to the goblin who cast the coin. On these fake coins, though, the numbers will change to reflect the time and date of the next meeting. When Cassie changes the date on her coin, it will change on everyone's coins as well."

After explaining how the coins worked, there was a general agreement amongst the group that it was a good idea to use. Everybody moved forward to collect one from the basket. Harry looked sideways at Hermione.

"You know what these remind me of?"

"No, what's that?"

"The Death Eaters' scars. Voldemort touches one of them, end all their scars burn, and they know they've got to join him."

At this, Cassie flinched and visibly paled. She knows that nobody is aware of the mark on her arm, but just the mention of it makes her nervous. They may not know now, but they may eventually and what would they think?

"Well... yes. That is where I got the idea... are you okay, Cassie?" Hermione asked noticing how pale she had become at the subject.

"Oh — yeah, I'm fine," she stuttered.

Cassie hoped that no one noticed her obvious discomfort at the mention of the Dark Marks, but unbeknownst to her, Harry saw exactly how she reacted. What puzzled him though, was why she suddenly was acting this way, when she usually was brave around the subject of Voldemort.

——-

As the first Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor versus Slytherin, drew nearer, D.A. meetings were put on a temporary hold. Excitement grew more each day, especially with teachers decreasing the workload.

October extinguished itself in a rush of howling winds and driving rain and November arrived, cold as frozen iron. A whole month past, but for some reason, there was still no word from the Death Eaters, which puzzled both Cassie and Dumbledore.

The morning of the long awaited match dawned bright and cold. Cassie was excited for the match, as Quidditch was a fun sport for her to watch. Although, as everyone was talking happily sporting red and gold at the Gryffindor table, a scrawny black owl swooped in, dropping a crumpled piece of parchment in front of her.

Not recognizing the owl, she curiously opened the piece of parchment to read what was enclosed.

Go to the spot at the start of the Quidditch game.