10

Have you ever felt like you were drowning? It didn't matter the circumstances. It didn't matter if you were in a bad situation. It didn't matter. All that mattered was trying to not let the water get in. Trying to not let the water drag you down to the bottom of the sea. Trying to fight. Trying to survive. Trying to live for the people who need you. People who stay with you during your darkest moments. The people who won't leave you.

My thoughts get interrupted by my music going to a different song. I roll my eyes when I hear the song.

I get out of the shower and go into my closet. I look around until I find the perfect outfit. I'm wearing a black lace tank top with grey pants. I'm also wearing a jean jacket. My hair is curled and pulled back so it's out of my face.

I make my way over to my vanity and look at it. I put some of my necklaces on that I think would go with my other outfit. I put natural makeup on with a nude lip.

I grab my phone and look to see if I have any missing text messages. I don't. I turn my music off and put my phone in my pocket. I grab my purse and everything I need.

I make my way downstairs and go into the kitchen. I hear a gasp and I look at the kitchen island. I see all my brothers there eyeing me from head to toe. I roll my eyes and go back to the fridge.

"Why are you so dolled up?" Adrian asked. I roll my eyes.

"Are you ignoring us again?" Chris asked. I don't pay any attention to them. I was always good at ignoring but when I lived with Ryan, he took it to a whole other level. He was such a manipulator. He didn't care about anybody's feelings.

"I'm gonna take that as a yes." Leo says.

My phone dings and I take it out.

U- Still meeting me at the diner?

A- Yeah. I'll be there in 30. Are you picking me up or am I taking an uber?

U- A damn uber. You ain't gonna pay me so no.

A- You can be so damn rude. I'll be there.

I exit out of the app and go into my uber app. (Right?) I place an order for an uber and see they will be here in less than 5 minutes. I put my phone away and place my attention to the people who call themselves family.

"I'm leaving. Don't worry about your cars. I'll bring mine home later or whatever one Maxim has of mine. Don't wait up for me because that's not a smart idea. Yes I will text every few hours. I'll be fine. Also, if I'm not home later tonight, then I will be home early tomorrow before school starts. Okay, bye." I leave without them responding.

I walk all the way to the gates and wait for a car to pull up. When they do, I get in and we make our way to the diner.

The driver pulls up and I pay him. I make my way inside the diner and go to his favorite booth. I sit in front of him. He doesn't look up from the menu but it's whatever.

We sit in silence for a couple of minutes when the waiter came over. I ordered what I wanted while Maxim did the same. After they collected the menus they left. Maxim looked at me with an unreadable expression.

"Addison."

"Maxim." I say quietly.

"You want to start-" He was cut off by the bell ringing on the door signaling that people came in. I didn't look and neither did Maxim. He rolled his eyes. "As I was saying, we should talk."

"About what?" Someone says, sitting next to us. I looked over and saw all the family. I looked at Maxim.

"I didn't invite them." I say quietly. He looked at me for a minute and nodded.