Kye

"What was it like with the humans?" Sophie asked lazily.

Keefe looked up from his drawing, "it was interesting."

"You seemed to get along well with the little girl." Sophie said, walking over to where he sat and coming next to him.

"Yeah, Kye really made me feel at home." Keefe said, continuing his sketch, till Sophie put a hand on his. He gulped, glancing at the drawing he'd started. Her vivid smile, stunning brown hair, sparkling blue eyes...

"Is that why you're drawing her?" Sophie asked softly, her hand pressed over his as he shrugged, he never thought he'd miss the human lands. But now that he was back...

It's not that he didn't enjoy seeing Foster.

But Kye... she'd left an imprint on him. And not to say that anyone else hadn't but Kye wasn't just a friend. She felt like someone closer, someone who would always be there. Like family. Like a sister. But... how could that be?

"Keefe. Do you want to tell me about her?" Sophie asked, a sweet look in her eyes as he nodded.

"She asked me all these questions. About where I was from, where I'd gotten Mrs. Stinkybottom." Keefe paused as Sophie laughed.

"But our favorite? Telling story's about..." Keefe bit his lip, wondering if this would sound odd.

"Story's about you." Keefe said, a look of confusion in Sophie's eyes that melted into a warmth he'd never seen before.

"What about Fitz? Ro?" Sophie prodded.

"I mentioned them a few times. But... the stories were usually about you." About us. He thought silently, part of him wondered why he was telling Sophie this but... maybe it would get her to be less oblivious?

"About all my Foster fails I bet." Sophie said with a twinkle in her eyes.

Guess she was staying oblivious.

"Nah. Told her about all the times you helped me." Now his head was screaming, his heart racing. He wanted to tell Foster... didn't he? But why? Why here? Why now?

"Foster..." Keefe started,

"Hey can I-" Sophie said at the same time.

"You go first." Keefe said, anything to keep stalling.

"Well I was wondering something. Grady showed... well I guess he didn't show me. But I saw his memory of the crystal you used. Where did you get that crystal?" Sophie stuttered over the last few words.

"Heh well funny story..." boy was he going to get in trouble for this.

"I sort of stole it from Mr. Forkle... and before you freak out-" Keefe said as Sophie's eyes turned huge and she opened her mouth to (probably) rebuke him.

"It was when you and Ro wanted me to stay home all the time. At one point me and Ro made a bet, I won. And no I won't tell you what the bet was, only that it included a large amount of Alicorn poop and Fitz." He winked to add a bit of flare. But Sophie didn't move a muscle, as if willing him to go on.

"I got to go someplace, Ro had to come with me but... we may have found a crystal in that secret hideout of Mr. Forkle's. And don't even guess how we got out." Keefe said.

"Well... aren't you a person of mystery nowadays." Sophie remarked, but something else was in her tone, something he couldn't decipher.

"Yes the Mysterious Miss F has some comp..." his voice trailed off, remembering the last time he'd used that nickname.

To the Mysterious Miss F!

He scowled at the thought, the letter had been too short, too secretive, too unkind.

He should've done better. Sophie deserved so much more, everything he'd told Dex, everything he kept from Elwin... maybe even the secret he had kept from her for years.

"I've made lots of mistakes Sophie." He said slowly, shifting his gaze away from hers.

"But leaving wasn't one of them." Sophie said quickly, speaking the words that both knew was true.

He should've stayed with the humans.

"You're meant to be there... aren't you?" Sophie whispered, a sad declaration in her tone as he nodded.

"I think so." He said softly.

No one spoke a word for minutes, the room in silence as they stared at each other, neither wanting to speak the words they knew had to be spoken.

"Could I see what Forkle's office looked like? Or whatever it's called?" Sophie asked, breaking the silence. He nodded stiffly, so they were going for avoid the subject? Sounds good. For now.

"Sure. And project it for me, Ro will want too go back there so we'll need to make a plan." Keefe said, Sophie laughed at this, than reached for his temples. He tried hard not too shiver at her touch and than watched as Sophie projected it.

"Well here it is Ke-"

"That's it." Keefe breathed. Staring at the image Sophie had projected,

It looked so eerily familiar to something he'd received just a few days earlier. The same format, design... now he knew why.

Kyes drawing, She'd made it herself.

But it wasn't a drawing at all.
It looked just like Sophie's projections. And that meant...

Kye was a telepath.