Part III, Chapter 10

General Anderson had to get control of the situation. He had not anticipated that the enemy would crumble so completely and so quickly. They were defeated, but the killing went on and threatened to disintegrate into mass murder. He saw that discipline and cohesion had broken down in the euphoria of victory following their earlier intense fear. The further he walked into the battlefield, the more he saw signs of executions and looting of bodies. He continued to hear the disquieting sounds of individual shots that could only mean one thing.

He saw tanks nearby. Anderson ran over and found Captain Beau Myers standing on top of his vehicle looking south with binoculars like he had just conquered the world. His soldiers were also gathered on and around the tanks with a similar attitude of celebration. He ran up and yelled to get the Captain’s attention.

Beau immediately responded with a smile, jumped off his tank and saluted Anderson, “Sir, the enemy is fleeing in all directions! We’ve won and we’re-"

“Stop, Captain!” yelled Anderson cutting through his enthusiasm. “I have a different mission for you and your men and I need it to be done right now.”

“Yes, sir,” said Beau, now calm and attentive.

“The army is coming apart right now and is vulnerable. They’re looting, killing, and doing God knows what else. We’re vulnerable to a counterattack and we have to get control. I’m afraid we’re also executing men who have surrendered. It may seem like a good idea now, but people will regret it tomorrow. I do now.”

“What do you need me to do, sir?” asked Beau.

Anderson sighed before continuing. There would be no returning from what he was about to do, but he saw no other way to stop the carnage and the craziness. Most would never forgive him. Nevertheless he felt it was the right call.

“Captain, leave a guard for the tanks and take the rest of your men on foot and sweep through the battlefield to get everyone back under control. Have soldiers report to their unit. Anyone who does not have a unit, or can’t find it, is to fall under your command. Any officer you see who refuses to do his duty, you have the authority to relieve on the spot in my name. Anyone who is executing or torturing prisoners is to be arrested. Do you have any questions?”

“Just one, sir,” said Beau gravely. “How far am I allowed to go in this?”

Anderson’s face was grim as he told Beau to gather his men around so he could tell them all. “Men, I’ve just given your commander a very key and difficult mission. You have authority to shoot anyone who does not comply. I hope it doesn’t come to that, but I fear it will at first. I accept full responsibility. It’s up to you to bring the army back under control.”

They all nodded that they understood, heading off to do their duty.

*******

Two hours later it was done. The JP forces were back in their assigned unit positions. They had established a defensive perimeter and sent out patrols to intercept any counterattacks from the south. They also began tending the wounded, burying the dead, and gathering up the prisoners. Jubilation was replaced by soberness as word spread of what had happened.

The final cost of Beau’s mission was twenty-two arrested, three relieved, and one dead. Beau reported that they came across a major who was walking down a line of kneeling men and shooting each in the head with a pistol while others looked on.

Beau ordered him to stop. The major shot another man in the head. Beau ordered him relieved of his position and told his men to place him under arrest. The major smiled, took a step to the right and shot the next man in the head, his soldiers not moving.

Beau warned the Major he would have to shoot him if he did not stop. The Major laughed, took a step to the right, put the pistol up to the next man’s head, but fell over bleeding when Beau shot him in the back.

The shot broke the spell. Beau ordered all the men to bury the dead and then report to their unit. He took control of the prisoners and continued on his mission with the prisoners in tow.

Although Anderson did not regret his actions, he knew this would not end well. He also knew Reggie Philips would stand behind him, which could endanger Reggie’s legitimacy. Anderson couldn’t have that. He had come to love the JP too much to see it made vulnerable.

Anderson sent a quick dispatch north to General Butch Matthews to report to him immediately. He did not tell him why, just that it was urgent. He kept his intentions to himself.

He would resign his post to Butch until an official investigation could be conducted into his army’s actions. Regardless, he knew dangerous and possibly dark days were ahead.

On the bright side, maybe I'll be able to catch up on my gardening, he mused looking at the sky.