30. Silently Tormented

~ Jase Charlton ~

~ Jase Charlton ~

I'm in love with Kriss

I knew I liked her, but I didn't know I loved her. I've liked her for quite some time now - for well over five years, if my mental calculations are to be trusted.

But then today, at Taco Bell...

It was mostly the little things. The mischievous look glimmering in her compelling brown eyes as she stole my fries. The humorous outrage taking its place when I stole her fries in retaliation. The soft glow of her cheeks whenever she blushed - which was often. The way she made fun of my shameless staring, enraptured in the thoughtful look she got whenever her mind wandered.

And then I realized I'm in love with her.

It was when I ran my finger over her cheek, marveling at the smooth feel of her heated skin, that the thought flew through my head. She'd stared back at me, her thoughts unreadable, driving me to the brink of insanity.

What is she thinking? Does she feel what I feel?

I don't know. I don't know how Kriss feels. I don't think she knows how she feels.

I drove us all back to the manor after leaving Taco Bell, Megan stealing Kriss's keys and giving them to me once again, insisting that I was a much better driver than Kriss when she protested. As a result, Kriss told Megan she'd really drive off the road when they go back to the city at the end of the summer.

"Don't do that!" Jamie had exclaimed at that. "You might kill another chipmunk!"

I glanced sideways at Kriss. "I'm sorry, what?" I blinked.

Kriss bit her lip. "I ran over a chipmunk yesterday," she said flippantly, like she was talking about the weather or what she had for breakfast. "No big deal. Chipmunks become roadkill all the time."

Jamie had let out an outraged gasp, but said nothing more on the matter.

That was pretty much how the rest of the drive went. Small snatches of conversation, not-so-subtle sideways glances at Kriss, her either biting her lip or blushing or doing something else that sent a silent wave of torture rushing through me.