Chapter 2

Sullivan hadn't been wrong when he had mentioned his mother's white couch. In fact, everything in Reyna Richards' suite of rooms was a shocking white. The only color was the fresh flowers that she insisted on scattering around the room. The colors changed according to her mood. Currently, they were blood-red roses, and the effect was dramatic.

"Sullivan and Sawyer are here," Ophelia announced as she entered the room.

"What's wrong?" Reyna asked as she lifted her cheek for a kiss. It might seem odd to some that she would offer her employer a kiss on the cheek, but Reyna's and her relationship had moved beyond simple employee and employer years ago. It was probably the same reason the boys hadn't take Ophelia's remark about sexual harassment seriously. If she had been their sister, they would have treated her the same way.

"Sullivan caught a bug and lost a lot of weight. He looks sickly, but he has been to the doctor, and he's on the mend. He feels good enough to take Polly home at any rate." Ophelia brushed at her skirt one more time before she sat on the pristine couch.

"And Sawyer?" Reyna asked as she moved from where she had been sitting at a small desk to her favorite armchair near the white marble fireplace.

"He looks much better but thinks weight loss looks better on him." Ophelia smiled as she said it.

"Yes, I can understand that. Is my appointment set?" Reyna inquired, looking every inch the goddess that she tried to be. She was a beautiful woman. Her blond hair had turned snow-white years ago, but she had it highlighted in such a way that it looked thick and luxurious. Her skin was smooth and made light of her sixty-plus years.  She made being beautiful look effortless.

"You are set for this Friday at six in the morning. We will be in and out before anyone, but you and the doctor know." Ophelia assured her.

"Good, and you'll go with me?"

"I will," Ophelia assured her. "I'm sure it's nothing serious at all," she reassured the older woman. Reyna had been having some problems hearing people. It had gotten to the point that she had started to miss her cues at work, and it had taken Ophelia months to get her to agree to the appointment.

"What's not serious at all?" Swayer asked as he entered the room and immediately moved towards his mother, picking her up in a hug much the same way he had Ophelia.

"Your bother's weight loss," Ophelia said as her heart dipped a little when she saw him follow his brother in the room.

"He caught a bug, Momma. He can't catch a girl or a fish, but bugs, he's got that one down pat!" Sawyer said with a grin as he moved to sit on Ophelia's left, throwing his arm around her shoulders and across the back of the sofa.

"Hello, Momma," Sullivan greeted, giving his mother a kiss and a hug while ignoring his brother. "I'm fine. The doctor says I'm on the mend."

Ophelia watched his arms enfold his mother, and she swallowed a little harder than usual. It always pulled Ophelia's heart to see such a big strong man like Sullivan be so gentle and loving towards his mother.

"How are you?" he asked, taking his time to look at her.

"I'm wonderful," she insisted. "Ophelia takes good care of me."

"That's because you pay her to, Momma," Sullivan rudely said.

Ophelia bit her lip but remained silent. It was more than that, and he knew it, but he was angry about something. He always lashed out with words when he was angry.

"He's in a tizzy about something," Sawyer whispered in her ear. "What did you do, slap him after he touched your butt?"

"No, but I should have," Ophelia whispered back.