~49~

"So still giving me the silent treatment even though I don't know what I did" Deb said as Brighid packed her bag. She was ignoring her mother since she found out the news.

A car horn honked outside of the house and Brighid zipped her bag shut. She sprinted down the stairs and into Nathan's car.

"Ready?" Nathan asked all excited.

"Yes. I need an escape from this hell hole" Brighid muttered.

"What did dad do now?" Nathan asked.

"Nothing. It's mom" Brighid explained.

The two knew better than to question Brighid any further. Instead the ride was quiet until they hit the highway. It was then Nathan decided to play a CD.

"It's stuck" Lucas commented trying to hit the play button.

"It can't be. I just fixed it" Nathan muttered trying to hit the button as well. After pressing it hard a few times a foreign cd started playing with the song Holiday. The three exchanged a look that signaled that this was going to be a long car ride.
———
Later that night the three were seated at the bobcats game.

"So you going back to basketball?" Nathan asked Brighid as she watched the players warm up.

"I am. But I'm doing it for myself not for anyone else" Brighid explained as she ruffled through her bag. "I actually got into the female division of high flyers this summer" Brighid continued showing the two of them the letter.

"Brig" Lucas said all amazed.

"That's great. You going?" Nathan asked.

"That I haven't decided. I have to talk about that with Jake first" Brighid explained shoving the letter back into her bag.

The three watched the game, cheering, laughing and having the best time together as siblings. At the end of it Nathan seemed nervous.

"I can drive back tonight. I'm so wired I won't sleep for hours" Lucas said.

"Nah. I got us the rooms. We have to stay over" Nathan said making Lucas and Brighid shrug their eyebrows in confusion.

"Okay? And why's that?" Brighid asked.

"Look I brought you two here for something else. Not the game. It's about Dan's heart condition. It's called HCM and it's genetic" Nathan explained. Brighid looked at Lucas who had a mad look on his face.

"Don't tell me. We have appointments to go get tested" Brighid finished knowing Nathan had set this up already.

"Yeah. Tomorrow morning"

"What's the odds of us having this anyways?" Lucas asked with a laugh.

"Fifty fifty" Nathan answered. The mood changed and Lucas was silent. His smile melted to a frown.

"We should know. We have to know" Brighid mumbled mustering up the courage to take the test tomorrow morning.
———
"Scott" the doctor's office announced. All three stood up making the nurse check the sheet again.

"Brighid Scott" she called out. The two guys sat down and Brighid hesitantly followed her to the room. There she was hooked up to machines and given an ultrasound on her heart.

"Negative" the doctor said giving her a smile. She smiled back relieved she was free from having HCM. She threw her shirt back on and waited in the waiting room for Nathan and Lucas to be done.

As she waited she noticed Lucas come walking towards her.

"Negative?" Brighid asked.

"Lucas"she called out as he panicked and left the doctors office. Nathan came back out giving her a small smile.

"Negative" Nathan said hugging Brighid.

"What about Lucas?" Brighid asked.

"He's refusing to know" Nathan explained. "Come on"

The two walked out to the car to find Lucas leaning on it.

"I'm not doing it" Lucas said. Nathan and Brighid exchanged a look.

"Fine" Nathan responded. As they pulled away Lucas looked at Nathan and Brighid.

"If my mom asks. I took it and I'm fine. Same goes for Haley. No one is to know about me not taking it. Got a deal?" Lucas asked.

"Fine" Brighid and Nathan muttered agreeing to Lucas' deal. Nathan switched on the radio and all three sung the holiday song on loop.