the dinner party

You exhale slowly, glancing at yourself in the mirror, making sure you look alright

You exhale slowly, glancing at yourself in the mirror, making sure you look alright. A dark blue dress ends about mid-thigh, the neckline just low enough to show some cleavage. Your silver necklace rests around your neck, and on your hand, you don the silver ring your sister had given you as a present for getting your PhD. It has a sapphire in the middle, the blue almost the same color as the dress. Your hair frames your face, your makeup accentuating your features.

"You look beautiful," Spencer murmurs, wrapping his arms around you from behind. He gives you a small kiss on the cheek.

You smile, resting your hands on his. "So do you, bubs."

Spencer's wearing a black button up, a black blazer over it. The shirt's tucked into a pair of black slacks, his Converse on his feet. Around his neck lies his own gold necklace, tucked behind the collar of the shirt. Black on black on black. It works for him, though. He looks hot.

You turn around, brushing his hair out of his face. "You know, we've been living together for a month now."

"Mhm," he hums, running his hands down your back.

"I like it," you murmur.

"I do, too," he replies, brushing his lips against yours.

You smile before kissing him softly, wrapping your arms around his neck. You had moved in with Spencer about a month ago, almost right after you'd gotten your PhD. It's nice, taking your relationship to the next step. Spencer had been away for a while on a case and had gotten back last night, where he'd promptly invited you to a dinner party at Rossi's. You, of course, accepted.

He breaks the kiss, grinning at you. "I love you."

"I love you, too," you whisper, looking into his hazel eyes.

"Let's go," he says, lacing his fingers with yours. "We don't wanna be late."

You grab your phone and your purse, you and Spencer leaving your shared apartment. He locks the door behind him, and you two walk to his car, Spencer's hand in yours. You climb into the passenger's seat, Spencer sliding into the driver's side. He starts the car and backs out of the spot, beginning the drive to Rossi's mansion. Yeah, he has a mansion.

Spencer laces his fingers with yours as he drives, rubbing his thumb along yours. You reach for his aux cord—yes, you made him get one—and plug your phone in, turning on one of your random playlists. Better Man by Paolo Nutini begins playing, and you smile, turning up the volume.

"What song is this?" Spencer murmurs, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Better Man by Paolo Nutini," you tell him, squeezing his hand. "I listened to him growing up. I love his music."

The song plays, and you quietly sing along to the words.

She makes me smile
She thinks the way I think
That girl makes me wanna be better
Took her down Bleecker Street
Saw she drank the way I drink
I kissed the sky to send the blue a letter