n i n e

There seemed to be more sides to Taehyung than Jeongguk expected, because as soon as they stepped into the nursing home, his bubbly personality had stiffened into something more somber.

As promised, they went to spend the rest of the evening by his grandmother's side.

It made Jeongguk think of the first time he arrived here and learnt the older's name— whether the smile Taehyung directed towards him was genuine or disguised at worry, he couldn't tell.

Jeongguk didn't dare disturb the atmosphere within the room, seeing the way the older laid his head on the edge of the sick bed and stared off into space.

His grandmother was sound asleep, her breathing loud but stable.

The younger couldn't help the lump that rose in his throat.

His father died of a heart attack last Christmas— the only Christmas Jeongguk chose not to come home from college. And that remorse seeped deep into his skin and soaked his bones. He wasn't there for his last moments.

And when he watched the scene of Taehyung in front of him, he wondered if it would be more painful to have a loved one being taken away from you this agonizingly slow.

Perhaps it was that terrible thought that drove Jeongguk forward, wrapping his arms around the older's shoulders and resting his chin on top of Taehyung's head.

The older seemed surprised at the gesture, sitting up straight. "You okay, Jeongguk?"

"Are you okay?" The younger asked, peering over at his grandmother, "I know it isn't easy... watching her like this all the time."

"It gives me time to think," Taehyung murmured, "Where do I want to be in ten years? There's so much I want to do. And then all my hopes come crashing down when I realize there's not much I can do when I lose my eyesight. I know I should dream big or whatever, but it slowly becomes unrealistic." The older held onto Jeongguk's hand and pressed it against his cheek. "Why not just focus on the smaller things? Happiness can come in small portions too."

The younger came to a realization. "That why you spend hours sitting at bus stops watching snow? And people?"

"Yeah. There's a lot to enjoy when you just sit back and observe and let time wash over you. Especially when you don't know how much more you can enjoy."

Jeongguk hummed, hugging the older a little tighter. "That's a good mindset to have. I guess sometimes I forget about the little things."

"Thanks, Jeongguk." The hand that was held against Taehyung's cheek inched towards the corner of his lips, and soon enough, a small kiss was planted. "It's nice to have someone around this Christmas."

When the older tilted his head up to look at him, Jeongguk swore his tummy flipped. It wasn't just Taehyung's perfect, sharp features that made him attractive, but how he picked apart your feelings, drew them into string and weaved them into a warm blanket to snuggle you in.

They were people who lost, and people who were losing. It's during these phases when your heart grows to treasure every inhale and exhale of breath, every smile thrown your way.

Taehyung made sure to be one of those people who smiled and bought you hot chocolate to make you feel valued. Jeongguk was a victim to his kindness.

Suddenly, his grandmother stirred, arm moving to rest against Taehyung's shoulder.

"Hi." Taehyung smiled brighter than usual, soaking up all the positive energy he could possibly hold. "It's Tae. How are you?"

But his grandmother seemed to have other concerns, narrowing her eyes at the boy who had his arms secured around her grandson. "Wait."

Jeongguk tensed, letting go of Taehyung.

"I know you."

Oh great, am I Min Yoongi again?

"You're Jung Hoseok," She declared.

"Grandma," Taehyung laughed, "No. This is Jeongguk. You haven't met him yet."

"Good evening," The younger peeped, "I'm... Tae's friend."

She frowned, tiredness still evident in her movements. "You have other friends?"

"Grandma." Taehyung buried his head in his hands, embarrassed. "I do socialize from time to time, I promise."

Jeongguk suppressed a grin. "By socializing, he means kidnapping people to have hot chocolate with him."

"Jeongguk." Taehyung turned sharply and smacked him on the chest. "I feel very attacked right now."

"By the way, I told you I'd pay you back for that drink— the money's under the pillow on the couch."

Taehyung hit him again, but this time with a giggle escaping his lips. "I'm throwing it at you when we get home tonight."

"You can. But I'll just hide more money in your apartment."

When the pair turned back to Grandmother, she was smiling oh-so gently, looking at her grandson as she spoke. "It's nice to see you like this."

"Hm?"

She shook her head and fell back against the bed, seemingly drained. This immediately wiped the smile off Taehyung's face.

"What's wrong?" He got to his feet, leaning closer. "You usually have the energy to stay up longer than this."

"Oh, darling it's fine." She let out a forced snicker. "I just moved around a lot earlier in the day."

"You did?" Taehyung lit up. "You think you're getting stronger? Just a bit?"

"Just... a bit." She took a deep breath and sighed. "I think... I'll rest now."

If Taehyung was disappointed, he didn't show it. Instead he adjusted the glasses on the slope of his nose with a sigh and turned to Jeongguk.

"She thinks everyone I'm with is either Yoongi or Hoseok."

The younger shrugged, keeping his voice low not to disturb the old woman. "First time you left me here with your grandmother, she called me Yoongi."

"Really? What did she say?"

"The guy my grandson wouldn't stop nattering on about." Jeongguk continued without a moment of thought. "She made me think you were interested in someone called Yoongi."

A deep chuckle emitted from Taehyung. "I guess I do talk about my roommates a lot." Suddenly he took a step closer to the younger, prompting his breath to hitch. "Did it bother you?"

Jeongguk's hands landed on the older's forearms, unsure of whether he should push him away. "Did what b-bother me?"

"The idea that I could be interested in someone else."

The younger gulped, vulnerability creeping up his spine. "What? No. Why would you say that?"

Taehyung flicked Jeongguk under the chin, unaware of the wave of goosebumps he sent over the younger's skin. "Whatever you say, darling."