New Quiet

"Something inside me was just... broken."

It was the day we buried Justin.

The Glade was a new type of quiet. Almost no one was talking and when they did it was a quiet, solemn, whisper. Like talking would prove they didn't care about him. 

Alby carved a messy line through his name on the wall. Funerals didn't happen in the Glade. Minho said it was just a reminder that no one could save them. Clint and Jeff seemed really upset over it. I offered to take over the medjack position by myself today so they could rest up. They agreed. It was a slow day today. A few people (Gally) cried about getting a bruise so I gave him ice to get him to calm down. Man children. All of them were man-children. 

Winston had a cut that I had to clean out. He left with a wrapped up arm and some painkillers. It was hot in the little shed but not enough to break a sweat. I sat in a chair flipping the knife Minho gave me when I carved my name. 

"Where's Clint and Jeff?" An accented voice said from the doorway. I recognized it immediately. 

"They're taking a break today."

"Makes sense," Newt said walking in the rest of the way, sitting on one of the beds. "They were like the three stooges the three of them. Now it's just two." He whispered solemnly. 

"Yup," I responded. "What are you in for? Break another leg?"

He let out another obviously fake laugh. I beat myself up on the inside. I've got to stop mentioning it, it's obviously a touchy subject. 

"Actually, smart ass, Clint and Jeff said to come back today so they could check on my leg but since they're not here I'll come back tomorrow." I understood. I hadn't helped him when he first got here and I didn't really know what was wrong with it. Where it was broken, how healed it was. 

Newt got up to leave but when he got to the doorway he paused. "It's lunch. You coming?" I smiled and nodded meeting up with him. We walked together to the outside tables filled with boys. Some were throwing food some were just talking. Some were actually eating. 

We got our plates from Fry and sat down next to Minho. He didn't go out today since... well you know. It's been a bad day for everyone. 

"Why'd you two walk down here together?" Minho said skeptically. 

Newt choked on the piece of bread he was eating. 

"Well don't make it look guilty, Newt." I laughed, nudging him a little. "He came to the hut because of his ankle but Clint and Jeff are taking the day off today so yeah." 

Minho eyes us, slowly taking a sip of water. "Right." He said placing the glass back on the table, his eyes still darting between us.

"Yeah, no. Now it's just weird." I said throwing a piece of meat at Minho. I smacked him right in the forehead. Newt stuck out his hand and I high-fived it. 

Minho picked up the fallen piece of meat from where it fell on the bench before throwing it back at me. It almost got tangled in my hair but I pulled it out before throwing it onto the grassy floor. The three of us laughed as Minho and Newt told stories of the glade and the dumb things people had done. 

Apparently, Minho forgot to bring his clothes into the shower room so he ran into the glade naked screaming 'I NEED CLOTHES'. I was dying of laughter. I couldn't breathe and my stomach was clenched together. Then, in retaliation, Minho told me that one day Newt was drinking some water and Fry did something that made Newt spit the water out of his nose. 

"Oh, slim it." He punched me in the side because of my none stop laughing. "It wasn't that funny, Minho." 

"Oh, yes Newt. Yes, it was."