Chapter 50: The Final Equation II

A/N: Second day of the final wave! We're still a few parts away from the ending.

LORELEI

"It was Jamie's idea to join your club and spy for me. It wasn't mine."

STEIN'S MOST recent revelation had an impact on me. It totally caught me off guard. Why? Because it contradicted what I believed or was led to believe. I bet I couldn't hide my surprise with my mouth gaping at him.

Last time, I pretended to be surprised because I already knew about it. But this time? My shock was legit. Kahit siguro si Jamie na magaling bumasa kung nag-a-acting ba ang isang tao, masasabing genuine ang reaksyon ko.

My eyes blinked as I stared at Stein for a few moments. Sinadya yata niyang manahimik upang hayaang mag-sink in sa amin ang pasabog niya. He must be savoring the look in my face. Kung pwede niyang kuhanan ng picture at ipa-frame sa kanyang kuwarto, ginawa na siguro niya. I hate to say this, but I gave him the satisfaction.

Kaagad akong nagbaling ng tingin sa aking mga kasama. Confusion was written all over their faces. Alistair furrowed his eyebrows, trying to process what was said. Meanwhile, Loki slightly arched a brow as he maintained a stare at the boy whose eyeglasses shone with malice.

We already knew that Jamie is his spy, but why did this information still come as a surprise to me? Back to our intense confrontation in Black Dahlia hotel months ago, Jamie admitted that she asked to join M's organization in order to get close to Stein who, she believed at the time, was behind her brother's death. She also admitted that Stein asked her to spy on our club to test her loyalty.

Asked her. Those were the operative words. Kahit pagbali-baligtarin natin ang mundo at kahit saang dictionary namin tingnan, malinaw na inutusan daw siya ni Stein na mag-espiya sa amin. Maybe she misspoke? Dala siguro ng pressure kaya posibleng mali ang nasabi niya sa amin.

But I highly doubt it. Dahil matindi ang impact sa akin ng pag-uusap namin noon, tandang-tanda ko ang mga sinabi niya. I may be angry at that time, but my senses were heightened. I couldn't have misheard her. Well, no one would easily forget a betrayal which could only come from a friend.

"I was tasked to spy on the QED Club."

"He asked me to watch Loki and you for him."

Those were her exact words, if I remember correctly. So the order came from someone. She was only asked to do it. She didn't volunteer the idea.

That's where the contradiction between her explanation and Stein's revelation arose. Sabi ni Jamie, inutusan siya. Sabi naman ni Stein, kay Jamie mismo galing ang idea. A classic case of she said, he said. One thing's for certain: One of them is lying.

Ang tanong: Sino ang dapat naming paniwalaan? Well, that's a no brainer question.

Jamie may yet to tell us more about her brother being the original Moriarty and how much she knew about the organization. Ayaw pa kasi namin siyang biglain at bombahin ng mga tanong. We wanted her to take her time until she's ready to speak about it. But between her and Stein, I'd rather take her version of the story.