29| Something to prove

Alyssa
_______________

News of my break up with Justin makes its rounds across school again. Marnie and Tiana are already at my locker, and while Tee pulls me into a hug, Marnie's eyes narrow. 

I pull back from Tiana and open my locker, shoving my things inside. When Marnie doesn't take her eyes off me, I turn and say, "Is there something wrong, Marnie?"

"What is this, the third breakup?" she asks. "It's always drama with you two. You'll be back together tomorrow."

I slam shut my locker. "We won't. It's for good this time." 

She rolls her eyes as if she doesn't believe me, and I don't blame her. This back and forth with Justin has made me look weak; it won't be long before she's moving against me. 

"Why'd you break up?" Tee says. "I mean, people are saying all kinds of crazy things like you cheated on him with some poor street kid." 

I tense. There are two ways I can play this thing: a half-truth, or a downright lie. I'm no novice when it comes to spinning tails, and I've learned the closer you keep it to the truth, the less likely it is people will question you.

"I broke up with Justin because he's abusive." 

They collectively breathe in, then look at one another like they can't quite believe what I'm saying. Why would they? In front of others, Justin has never been anything but the model boyfriend. It's only in the shadows that monsters come out.

"Abusive how?" Marnie asks. The scepticism in her eyes is unmistakable. 

I pull my top down a little to reveal the fingermarks left behind on my neck. "Like that."

Tiana's eyes widen, and she grabs my hand and pulls me toward her. "I'm going to kill him," she says. "Run over him in my new Audi and then dump his body into a bag full of rocks before dropping him into the river." 

I smile a little. Tiana is the shy one, the one who rarely speaks when we're in a group of more than two, but when it's just us, it's like she comes alive. 

"He can't believe I had the guts to leave him for it," I say, "so he's making all kinds of stuff up about me. Anything that comes out of his mouth is a lie to hide what he did." 

"I figured as much," Tee says, giving Marnie an, I told you so, look. 

"Hey, I didn't fall for it, either," Marnie insists. "Alyssa hooking up with a street rat from Burbank? Please. I mean, can you imagine?"

I let out a nervous laugh just as the bell rings, and we hurry to class before they can grill me further. I head to my desk, where Kino is already sat in his seat, organizing his pencils.

"Hey," he says when I take my seat. "I heard about the breakup. I'm really sorry." 

I nod. "It's fine. It was a long time coming." 

"If you want to talk about it–"

"There's not much to talk about," I say softly. "I kind of just want to forget he exists. But thank you."

He's silent for a moment or two. "My dad used to say, 'If you don't like something, take away its only power: your attention.'" 

I think about this for a moment before smiling. "I like that." Then I pause before adding, "Your dad sounds like a very complicated man." 

"He was," Kino says, looking at his hands. "Some days, he was your biggest fan. Other days, it was like you didn't exist." 

The teacher comes in and we're forced to settle down. For the rest of the lesson, I try to focus on Romeo and Juliet but instead keep replaying Justin's words in my head. I have the power to ruin your family. What will this mean for my parents? For college? Have I just sacrificed everything for pride? A few more weeks, and I could have ditched Justin forever. Have I just ruined everything?