Chapter 30

"Ma, I-" I struggle to speak through the sobs that escaped my lips as I remained wrapped in my moms arms.

"It's okay honey, you don't have to talk. Why don't we go inside, I'll make you your favorite hot chocolate and we can talk if you want to." I stand still for a while, trying to calm myself down before nodding softly and making my way further inside the house.

"I- I'm going u-up stairs ." My mom nods and flashes me a small smile trying to hide the worry that was  evident on her face as I manage to splutter out the sentence.

I slowly make my way upstairs, holding onto the railing before walking into my bedroom. As I look around, I notice that everything was exactly the same the way I left it, allowing me to appreciate the familiarity.

The tears still haven't stopped running down my cheeks, making me feel even more drained than before.

I slowly slip off my shoes, not having the energy to even change into anything else before climbing onto my bed and laying my head down.

I grab one of my other cushions, holding it tightly against me, mimicking the idea of having someone so close to me. Having him so close to me.

My eyes start to feel heavier as my breathing evens out a bit more. I relish in the warmth of the pillow against my body as I hug it even closer to me.

I feel a sudden calmness rush over my body as I let my body surrender to the sleep it so desperately craves. 

At the sound of my phone ringing I tried to move but it was as if my body suddenly felt too heavy lift my arm just to reach and answer it.

I sigh softly, knowing it was Alex by the sound of the specific ringtone but as much as I wanted to answer, I couldn't.

I let sleep take over completely, finally blocking out everything around me momentarily.

> > > > >

Alex Mercer

"She isn't picking up the phone Willie." My fingers tap involuntarily on my leg as Tanna's voicemail sounds through the phone again.

"Hey man, don't worry, I'm sure she's okay." I sigh softly, closing my eyes trying to get rid of the anxious thoughts in my head as Willie places his hand on top of mine and squeezes it gently.

"What if she's not? She always answers. I shouldn't have let her fly back to London alone, especially not with what she's been through."

"Okay maybe," he says, shifting his body to face me more until his eyes meet mine. "maybe she's asleep?"

I keep my eyes locked with his, letting his words register in my head before nodding slowly.

"Yeah, you're probably right." I let out a breath, feeling myself calm down a bit more. "I'm just gonna call one more time. Incase."

Willie just nods his head, flashing me a reassuring smile before moving back to lean against the headboard of my bed with my hand still in his.

I'm about to take the phone away from my ear after the fifth ring when finally the other end of the phone is picked up, making my ears perk up at the sound.

"Tan?"

"Alex honey, it's Kate. Sorry it took so long to answer, was just bringing Tan hot chocolate but she seems to have fallen asleep." I can't help but sigh in relief as I hear Tanna's mom speak through the phone.