Chapter 13 - A piece of the puzzle that I refused to put down

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

- William Shakespeare

"Eleanor Selwyn, are you ready for an absolutely marvellous day?" Adrian asked as he dramatically held out his hand. I stood up from the Slytherin table where we just had breakfast and bid my friends goodbye.

"I am, thank you very much", I said as I grabbed my coat. I didn't like to admit it, but I had put a little more effort into my outfit today. I wore a green and deep grey plaid dress with some tights for extra warmth and some black leather booties. My coat matched the black shoes and my hair was down like normal, with a little pin on the side to keep it out of my face.

I accepted Adrian's arm and let him guide me out of the Great Hall. We passed Malfoy and he looked at Adrian sceptically. He was still sufferable, being annoying but not terrible.

"You look beautiful, by the way", Adrian said as we walked into the crisp October air.

"Why thank you, you don't look half bad yourself", I smiled.

It was about a twenty minute walk to Hogsmeade, but it was never awkward with Adrian. He talked so casually, as if we'd been friends for years.

"So, are you forced to go to the Ministry's Christmas party again this year?" Adrian chuckled. The Ministry hosted an exclusive Christmas party every year for a select audience. My parents dragged me with them every year and it was dreadful. All families of the Sacred Twenty-Eight were invited and unfortunately, that meant Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy bloody Parkinson. Luckily Daphne was invited as well, but I expected her to have her eyes set on some other company.

"I'm afraid so, will you be there again?" I asked. Adrian was also one of the invites due to his father's position at the Ministry. I hadn't talked to him much in the past. We conversed a little last year, as it was only a couple days after the Yule Ball, but nothing much.

"I don't think so. My parents are going through some stuff and I'm staying with my mother at the moment", he sighed.

"Your parents? Is everything okay?"

"Not sure", he shrugged. "I wouldn't be surprised if they are divorced by the time I return, but maybe it's for the best. The summer was not particularly pleasant." His pained look hurt me. Although my parents sure weren't the most romantic and loving people, they rarely fought. I never had to endure family fights and parents who grow apart.

"I'm really sorry, Adrian. I hope everything works out." He smiled and I spontaneously smiled back.

"How about I treat you to a drink?" Adrian asked.

"Sure, but I will be dragging you around to do some shopping afterwards", I grinned. We only got to go to Hogsmeade a few times a year, I had to enjoy it whilst I could.

"Whatever you want."

We walked to the Three Broomsticks and found ourselves a seat in the back with a view out of the icy window. Adrian pulled out my chair for me and then went to order some drinks. I really wished I'd suddenly discover some kind of flaw in this man, because if this is who he truly was, generous with kindness, a gentleman and criminally handsome, I was a lost cause. I was catching feelings for him and I knew it.

I looked out the window and noticed Malfoy with Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy. The girl was clinging onto his arm, pressing herself against the boy. Why did he allow that? I thought he was more interested in Daphne? I had barely seen him with Pansy all year.