thirty-two

just a few things:
1- sorry this is a little later than i usually post; i had a meeting to attend and it slipped my mind :/
2- thank you so much for 24k, y'all are amazing!!
3- the next chapter is going to be the final one in this book! i'll post it next week (as per schedule) along with an end note part, so make sure to look out for it!

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

(Y/N) waits, looking ahead as the distant screeches of the Basilisks reach her ears. She closes her eyes, taking a deep breath when a surge of energy rushes through her. Her slight fatigue fades away, and the sounds of the Basilisks go quiet.

She opens her eyes, the previously red tint gone from her irises, revealing two pools of (Y/E/C) shining from the torchlight.

"The undead are down," she states, causing Jason and Reyna to look at each other with concern.

"So quickly?" Reyna asks, worry filling her voice, and (Y/N) nods, still facing forwards.

"Jesus Christ," Jason groans, drawing his sword as their group of twenty-three expects the Basilisks' arrival.

It takes one minute.

"Holy shit," Julius breathes out, tightening the grip on his sword as the first few come into their line of sight, a half-mile away.

"I've never seen any so big," Cara's voice is tainted with fear as the large snake-like monsters advance towards them.

"Remember," (Y/N) starts, her voice calm as she looks ahead, "they can breathe fire and their touch is extremely poisonous. Make sure they can't catch you off-guard."

The campers behind her nod, too afraid to speak, and Reyna unsheathes her dagger, the weapon glinting like (Y/N)'s matching Imperial Gold sword. "What's our plan?" the praetor asks, her determination reassuring the group.

"When our snipers start firing, I'll go through and take care of as many as I can," (Y/N) says, readying herself as the Basilisks get even closer.

"Then what?" Jason asks, adjusting the hold on his weapon as (Y/N) spins her sword in anticipation.

"You all will have to deal with the ones that get over here. I'll try to keep it from being a lot."

"All by yourself?" Julius steps forwards in concern, and (Y/N) finally turns around to look at him.

The group does a double-take when they see her face clearly.

Her expression is unnervingly calm, the corner of her lips quirked upwards in slight amusement. But what surprises them the most is her eyes.

Instead of the usual (Y/E/C) that they were before, bright swirls of red and gold run through the neutral color, gleaming in the firelight.

"I'll be fine," she states, her words reassuring the campers due to the confidence that she says them with.

(Y/N) turns around and sheathes her sword, arrows raining down and hitting the Basilisks as she does so. When the creatures reel back in surprise, (Y/N) takes that as her cue to run forward.

Jets of fire shoot at her from different angles in front, and the other demigods ready themselves with worry.

She keeps running.

When the fire is less than a foot away, (Y/N) holds out her arms, pulling the fire to the right and guiding it to circle around her. As the Basilisks only build up the flames, she continues to make her way towards them, the ring of swirling fire around her growing in strength.