TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
' BLESS ME WITH
' EXIES ' FOR THIS
IMPENDING
SHITSTORM . '

Eddie raised her eyebrow as Harlan grasped a book and moved to her side, a small smile pulling at his lips. She blinked a few times as he laid it onto her lap and moved to sit next to her. Her eyes flickered to him.

'I can't read,' she deadpanned. Harlan widened his eyes as he rocked, his feet tapping on the ground. 'What's that supposed to do?'

'He wants you to read.' Her eyes flickered to Diego who leant against the door frame.

She widened her eyes as she smiled sarcastically. 'Woah, somehow, I didn't gather that.'

'Why don't you read to the poor kid?'

'Because that means I have to interact with a kid.' Diego raised an eyebrow before she rolled her eyes, picking up the book as she pushed herself further into the seat, kicking up her legs and sighing. 'Harriet the Spy?' She squinted. 'I thought this came out-' she cut herself off, as she rolled her eyes. 'Fucking time meddlers.' She opened the book and glanced at Harlan before opening her mouth and reading the words out loud.

By the time Eddie had finished the book, Harlan, Sissy and the gathered Hargreeves siblings had all drifted deeply into the realms of sleep. She closed the book gently as her eyes flickered over them before she sighed. 'Just like the old times, eh?' she mumbled to herself.

\_|_/\_|_/\_|_/

They all stood in a circle, Eddie's hands stuffed in her pockets and her now long red hair flowing in the gentle breeze.

Five held a briefcase in his hands, and his eyes flickered over the siblings. 'Everyone ready?'

Luther let out a breath. 'Let's do it, yeah.'

Klaus let out a gasp before shooting off. 'Wait!' He scrambled to grasp a cowboy hat.

'Fifty bucks, we leave him here.' Diego whispered as Eddie pursed her lips, tilting her head.

'I'll give you the entire company if we just say 'fuck it' and leave everyone else behind,' Eddie spoke a bit louder, raising her eyebrows at Five as she smirked. Klaus made it back as he adjusted his hat. Everyone let out a sigh as Eddie grasped the briefcase handle and Klaus linked his arm with her other. She tensed but closed her eyes, letting out a small breath before they disappeared.

Eddie broke apart from the group, rubbing her eyes as she tucked her hair behind her ear. Her eyes wandered over the Hargreeves mansion, and she pursed her lips.

'Oh, good God. What day is it?' Silence filled the room as they glanced at the ceiling. Nothing replied, and Eddie's eyebrows furrowed gently.

'Hermes?' she questioned gently, but quiet still remained.

'April second, twenty-nineteen.' Five replied softly, glancing at Eddie. 'Day after the apocalypse.' The other siblings began to celebrate, but Eddie's eyes fell to the ground as she clenched her fists. 'Eddie?'

She jumped at Five's voice as she blinked rapidly, wiping her eyes. 'Yeah?' Five narrowed his eyes as she smiled, moving away and following her siblings through into the living room.

Diego stopped dead in his tracks as he squinted. 'Why is there a painting of Ben over the mantelpiece?'

'For personal reasons, I'mma have to bless me with 'exies' for the impending shitstorm.' Eddie let out a dry chuckle as her eyes hesitantly flickered about the room. 

'I knew you'd show up eventually.'

Eddie nodded her head, her eyebrows raising as she pointed to Hargreeves. 'Yup, I declare 'exies'. Nope, I ain't doing this shit again.'

'You're alive,' Luther spoke, his eyes wide.

'Of course. Why shouldn't I be?'

'Yeah, you're right. I'm... I'm just happy we're home and together again.'

'Home? This isn't your home.' Hargreeves squinted.

'We weren't happy either,' Eddie added quietly as her eyes flickered between her father and Luther.

'What are you talking about? This is the Umbrella Academy.' Allison stepped forward.

'Wrong again.' Eddie winced. 'This is the Sparrow Academy.'

'This old man really didn't like us, huh?' Eddie mumbled, turning as a new voice entered.

'Dad, who the hell are these assholes?' Ben asked, and Eddie raised her eyebrows.

'Okay.' Eddie clicked her finger at him. 'That's Ben, and he is very much alive. Shit.'