Chapter 1

The cold bit at the exposed skin of my face, flushing my cheeks and nose with the color of the strawberries dying in our small garden at home.

The village common was bustling with townsfolk doing their last shopping of the day as I hurriedly walked towards the apothecary, praying to the Gods that Thomas had not left. Candles lit the windows of the small shops that lined the streets and I peered inside each one as I passed.

My family had never been able to afford luxuries, each and every copper piece my father earned with his blacksmithing being put towards the prevention of starvation. Most days we ate only once, in the morning to fuel us for the days ahead, but on some winter days when money was scarce and food was short, my family and I ate nothing at all, resorting to melted snow to keep us upright.

My three brothers, all older than me, did little to support our family, but the blame did not fall on them.

Julius, the oldest, sold his services through music. He played the fiddle at parties the wealthy threw, only earning about three silver pieces per function. He had been playing since he was little but he still scored only a few gigs every moon, the wealthy preferring cleaner, more put together fiddlers, a luxury which Julius could not afford.

Andreas, the second eldest, was gone, and had been for quite a bit of time. On the night of his eighteenth name day, Andreas had announced he was going to volunteer to join the king's guard. Our mother had supported him, telling him she was glad to see him follow his passion, but my father had gotten angry and left, shouting about how it was in no way going to help our family. By the time my father returned, Andreas was gone. We have not seen nor heard from him in the four years he has been gone.

The youngest of the three, Edric, was currently an apprentice to my father, studying the art of blacksmith so he could sell weapons to the Kings Guard stationed here. Weapons used to punish and invoke fear in the poor folk, like my family.

All three boys were older than me, but my sister, Saige, was twenty-six moons younger. She was still too little to work, so she stayed at home helping my mother around our small cottage whenever she could. Saige took over my mother's duties at home when she fell ill. I hadn't seen the first symptoms my mother exhibited when the ailment struck her. I hadn't even noticed she was sick until she passed out one night sewing a new cloak for me. When she awoke, she could no longer stand. That was one moon ago. Since then, it had only gotten worse.

When I turned the corner onto the street that led to Thomas' father's shop, I saw him standing right outside his building, locking up the shop. I called after him, holding up my hand. "Thomas!"

He turned, brown eyes meeting mine and halted. "Revelynn?" Thomas was tall and lean, little muscle on his body from the absence of physical labor. His hair was the brown that the leaves turned to signal the upcoming winter and his eyes matched it perfectly.

"Yes, hello," my eyes flicked to the setting sun, then back to him, "Good evening."

He smiled, warmly. "I must say, I am surprised to see you."

I did not need to force a smile in return to the kind boy in front of me. "I know, and it is getting dark and the forest between the village and my house is quite dangerous at night so I must hurry. I require a few things from your shop."

Thomas' smile disappeared. "Revelyn, you know I can't give you herbs more than once a moon, my father would notice the missing money and-"

"No, I know," I interrupted him. "I have some coins. Julius brought some home today, and my mother, she is getting worse and requires more and more. I am sorry to keep you from getting home, but just quickly, can you let me in?"