t e n

"You know," Jeongguk spoke, his words muffled by the sandwich in his mouth, "This is like— the least Christmasy meal I've had in my entire life."

Taehyung rolled his eyes. "Shut up and be grateful the line wasn't long."

After about thirty minutes of wandering around the area, they ended up in the Subway Sandwiches near the highway and Jeongguk wouldn't stop complaining how they could've had mashed potatoes, rosemary chicken or something more festive.

"I'm kidding, Tae." The younger reached over the table and grabbed Taehyung's can of coke. "I'd rather be here eating Subway with you than home alone eating cat food."

"You're taking this cat person thing really seriously," Taehyung noted, not minding when the younger took a sip of his drink.

"It's a lifestyle."

Jeongguk's gaze flickered between the handsome boy in front of him and the dark that was slowly consuming the view outside. Sporadic streetlights illuminated the icy roads.

The snow has ceased to fall, a reminder that the younger can make it home safely now. He didn't need to stay any longer at Taehyung's apartment.

Yet leaving felt like a chore.

With their tummies full, they decided to let themselves wander around the area, pointing out lights, tinsels and wreaths hung on shop doors, until they made it to a nearby square.

Jeongguk found himself holding on to Taehyung's hand keener than before, cherishing his warmth and the glint of youthfulness in his eyes the older never seemed to shed. Perhaps Taehyung meant more to him than he thought possible, considering the fact that they met just a little over a day ago and decided to embark on this little adventure.

"Hey Tae?"

The older turned to him. "Yeah?"

"Did you have fun today?"

"I had a lot of fun," Taehyung beamed, swinging the younger's hand back and forth childishly, "I'll remember this for a long time, believe me."

They strolled towards the giant Christmas tree in the middle of the courtyard, where snow coated the entirety of fountains and lights that welcomed a shade of soft, chiffon yellow.

Jeongguk wanted to smack himself for neglecting how much he loved Christmas. He loved the way carols rolled with the breeze. He loved the way cold weather contrasted the warmth blooming in his chest. He loved the excitement his dad—

A sudden lurch in his heart caused his feet to stumble into a halt. A stab of grief.

"Jeongguk?" Taehyung questioned with concern, stopping in his tracks.

With a steady intake of breath, the younger spoke. "I don't know how you do it."

"How I do what?"

"Losing your grandma? A-and losing your eyesight?" Jeongguk spluttered, his gestures becoming more theatrical, "I know you have your ups and downs, and your doubts and insecurities, but how can you not loathe the world for it? For taking so much away from you?"

Taehyung listened attentively, not interrupting the words spilling from Jeongguk's mouth.

"How do you still manage to appreciate life so much, knowing that you wouldn't be able to see—" The younger inhaled sharply like he just ran out of breath. "I'm sorry. That sounded way harsher than it did in my head."

"It's okay." Taehyung stroked Jeongguk's knuckles with the pad of his thumb, though the younger probably couldn't feel it through his gloves.

"Not being able to see my dad with my own eyes is already painful enough. I can't imagine what it's like not being able to see anything."

The expression on the older's face was as understanding as always. He raised a cupped hand and Jeongguk glanced at it, confused.

"Can I show you?" Taehyung asked.

"Show me what?"

"What I think being blind is like."

Jeongguk nodded slowly, bottom lip sticking out. "Okay."

Taehyung made sure there wasn't any frost on his palm before he clamped his hand over the younger's eyes and temporarily stripped away his ability to see.

Jeongguk stood still, eyes closed, his other senses heightening. The beeping sound of pick-up trucks reversing. The wind that nipped at his ears. The delicious aroma of pastries from the bakery nearby.

What he didn't expect, however, was the arm that encircled his waist and the pair of lips that slotted over his.

Oh

Taehyung kissed him so delicately, like a dainty little thing about to break. And it took a second for Jeongguk to respond, adjusting to his rhythm and pressing forward just as eagerly.

Suddenly this feeling of bliss was stolen from him when the older pulled away.

Jeongguk waited till the hand was removed from his eyes, revealing the lovesick grin engraved on Taehyung's face.

"That was nice, wasn't it?" The older asked lightly, a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Jeongguk just blinked at him, speechless.

"Everything you said— I've thought about it a lot," Taehyung admitted, dipping his head down, "Sometimes I stay up late because I'm afraid to close my eyes. But there are so many other ways to enjoy life."

The younger gaped at him.

"Why do you think people kiss with their eyes closed?"

Taehyung smiled at the dumbfounded look on Jeongguk's face.

"The best things in life aren't seen, darling. They're felt."

Jeongguk swore he was swept off his feet in an instant, reaching out to grab the older's shoulders and pulling him in for another kiss and Taehyung didn't fight it. He tasted like cherry chapstick and Jeongguk made sure to engrave that piece of information into his brain forever.

All he could think of was darling darling darling, how heat radiated off their bodies and how utterly safe he felt trapped in the older's arms.

Eventually their lips disconnected and they stood with their noses brushing against each other's. Jeongguk let a giggle slip, gloved fingers digging into Taehyung's hips.

"Did you kiss me to teach me a life lesson?" He leaned forward teasingly. "Or did you just want to kiss me?"

Taehyung reacted with a peck on the younger's nose. "Could be both."

Jeongguk tilted his head the other way, avoiding more kisses. "Cheeky."

"Stubborn." The older shot back.

Just then, Taehyung's phone rang, breaking the pair apart. It took a few frantic seconds for him to fish it out of his pocket.

"Hello?... what?"