Chapter Twelve: Warmth

Din knew he should have never gotten involved. Not as involved as he already had.

He had a mission to complete, after all.

But this girl, this one with fiery copper hair and deep brown eyes, the kind voice to speak him back down to earth and the calm presence when he was tense.

She made him forget how alone he was. She made him feel seen.

And he was slipping, and slipping fast.

He had never danced, rarely even witnessed it among other people. And when she had asked him, he wanted nothing more than to take her hand and feel how warm it had been the other night and have her smile up at him like she had with his kid.

. . . .

"How do you know so much about Mandalorian culture?"

Thell pondered for a moment, Grogu in her arms as she walked the field with Din. It was cloudier than it had been, casting the field in shadows as a cool breeze drifted through the valley. It wafted the long grass against their legs, tickling Thell's skin through her pants. Grogu seemed content, happily murmuring to himself and keeping a solid grip on Thell's thumb.

"My mom used to tell me stories when I was younger. My boss was obsessed with their culture as well; he was always watching holos of their fights, or information segments on their history. I never met a Mandalorian growing up, but I always felt like I knew them."

"Now you have an excuse to know more."

Thell smirked, throwing him a sideways glance. "Yeah, I guess so. I just wish Clan Eldar was still around. I would like to ask their leaders a lot of things. From what Bo told us, it sounds like they just disappeared, or merged with another Clan."

"You're the last, then."

Thell rolled her eyes. "Yeah, sure. I don't think I would consider myself a true Mandalorian."

"Maybe not... but you have your father's armor, and he was a true Mandalorian."

Thell paused in her walking. "Yeah, I guess you're right... And what about the kid? You said a while ago that he's in your Clan."

Din looked the other direction, then back at Grogu. "After I rescued him, I went to the armorer on Nevarro. She said that by Creed, until he is of age or returned to his own people, I act as his father. He's my foundling."

Grogu wiggled in her arms, begging to get down, so Thell set him down carefully on the grass. They watched him, ears flickering, as he waddled through the tall grass.

"He..." Din started, talking quieter. "He reminds me of myself."

"Big floppy ears and green skin?" Thell teased.

He scoffed. "Yeah, right. I'm a human under the mask, Thell."

She grinned, elbowing him in the side playfully. "I know, I'm just teasing you."

When she looked back at the kid, wandering slowly through the grass, she realized he was right. They were more alike than she had realized. After knowing Din's own story, it never rang more true.

"He has to go to a Jedi, right?" She asked.

"Yes... maybe. I think so." He suddenly rubbed his hand over the back of his neck.

He sounded tired, exhausted really, and it made a great swell of sympathy rise in Thell's chest.

"Well... we don't have to worry about it right now, right?" She said, hoping to settle him. "This is our break. We can just... enjoy this."