✹eight✹

When Tyla woke her the next morning, the sky was still dark and her mind held the images from a slumber filled with soft green eyes, and golden hair. The handmaiden found her princess with a smile on her lips and a bright look in her eyes which stayed constant through their wedding preparations.

Lord Tywin had sent a dress up for her, one of Joanna's. It was a deep red with thin gold plates along her rib cage, engraved with twisted vines and roses. The colors were appropriate, since most everyone knew of her engagement to Jaime, Tyla had informed her after unwrapping the beautiful dress, seeming to know why the lord had sent up such a gift.

It was truly a work of art. The red fabric trailed down from her shoulders and clung to her arms tightly until the elbow, where it fanned out and hid her hand's from view. The neckline plunged down to her waistline in a slim v shape, though most of the exposed skin was hidden by the golden corset shaped metal. The gold wrapped around her body with clasps and hinges that allowed movement and comfort. A chain of golden lions trailed down her middle from the waist and barely scraped the ground, giving the plain red fabric a look of elegance and richness.

Though the metal weighed her down, and Rhena was sure her back would ache something terrible by the end of the feast, she held herself proudly and sat straight while Tyla braided her hair and they conversed softly. Her hair was done up in two simple tails that were twisted inside themselves. It gave a simple but elegant look and the rest of her hair spilled down her back in soft waves. As a finishing touch, on her head sat a golden tiara of a dragon, it's wings wrapping around her head making up the crown and it's head at the crest, mouth open and snarling with red ruby eyes.

Rhena was to travel with Elia and their ladies together down to the Sep of Baylor where Rhaegar and his wedding party was waiting. As was customary, the sibling of the betrothed was designated as the other's lord or lady. As such tradition went, Oberyn would be with Rhaegar while Rhena was assigned to Elia to help the bride or groom with any preparations. Because of this, Rhena had risen early to get ready before Elia had any time to wake.

Lyanna met Rhena outside her room, standing with the rest of her ladies, all dressed in court finery and jeweled to the bone, well all except Lyanna who wore a light pink dress which was gifted to her by the princess herself. Her dark hair was tied up in loose braids that fell over her shoulders and down to her waist. Though she wore no jewelry save a wolf necklace around her neck, she still managed to be the most beautiful of her ladies, who all seemed too fake with their pounds of powder and cream from across the narrow sea.

The six noble women and the princess walked quickly to Princess Elia's bedchamber. They had less than three hours to have the princess bathed and dressed and the time was growing shorter. Rhena's father had wanted the wedding to take place at sunrise, to signify the rising of a new era, and to give homage to Elia's soon-to-be former house sigil. He was a man of violence, but he knew how to appease noblemen.

The giggling gaggle of girls made their way through the vast rooms of the Martell suite, searching for the bedchamber of their future queen. Elia was found tucked in thin blankets that protected her from the slight chill of night, but did not let the head get trapped. Her dark hair was tied in a loose braid that rested over her shoulder and Rhena thought her to be so peaceful and beautiful in sleep, she almost didn't want to wake her. Almost.

As was tradition, the ladies stood aside and let Rhena through to wake the slumbering princess. She knelt down next to the large bed and placed a cool hand on the woman's sun kissed cheek, gently stroking her hair and skin. "Time to wake." Elia stirred and opened her eyes slowly, finding Rhena's purple gaze watching her. She had been made aware of the strange tradition the day before by the Queen and had made sure to place her knife on her bedside table, opposed to under her pillow where it usually remained.