57| The Letter

I'm standing in front of the entrance of the warehouse

I'm standing in front of the entrance of the warehouse. The suitcase containing the money is in my hand.

My heart beats fast. Lais is behind these doors. I can finally see her again, if nothing goes wrong.

The kidnapper wants me alone, but there are cops already surrounding the place, all drawing their guns. I glance at one who's leaning against the wall of the warehouse, ready to ambush.

He nods, giving me the signal to proceed. And so I open the double doors with my hand. It creaks open.

I step into the place. It's quite dark that I can't make out anything.

Somehow, it just doesn't feel right.

Something cracks ahead of me, and in a second, the police ambush the warehouse. The lights are on, their guns pointed at the space, which is...empty.

There's a sound humming from a radio on a desk. Lights flicker from a small TV in front of a couch. A cat comes out behind a dust bin, knocking it down.

But there is no one here.

My hand is sweaty as I keep holding the case containing the money, watching as the cops inspect the place further.

They search everywhere, while I'm here, stunned.

What is happening?

After a few minutes, they're done checking every corner of the place.

I hear one of them report to his superior, "It's empty." And that's when I drop the case in my hand, staring blankly at the mess before me.

A sudden cold air blows through me, making the hair on the back of my neck stand.

What the hell is this?

Did the kidnapper just trick me? No, he needs the money, doesn't he?

Does it mean that he now knows that I bring the cops?

Where is Lais?

There are so many unanswered questions in my head, and fear begins to engulf me. I hear frantic shouts around me, orders given, more people rushing into the warehouse.

But I'm still nailed onto the same spot. Dead silent.

The reality comes crashing down on me.

What have I done?

Did I make a mistake?