Chapter 14 Information

Over the next few days, Ye An finally had a set routine that she followed religiously. In the mornings, she woke up at six to have a quick bath before heading to the Mental Cultivation Hall (养心殿) for a two-hour morning reading session with a Confucian tutor. This reading session effectively replaced her daily morning greeting with the Empress Mother. Not to mention the legalism philosophy that had been drilled into Ye An throughout her early education under the Empress Mother's strict instructions. The elderly royal would throw a fit if she knew that Ye An had brought a Confucian tutor into the Imperial Palace.

At eight, she had breakfast which was followed by daily court meetings at eight-thirty. The meetings were held at the Throne Hall as per previous meetings and usually lasted four to five hours as the court officials from each district brought out issues that they were facing for the court to collectively decide on the best course of action.

Afterward, Ye An would have a light snack before heading back to the Mental Cultivation Hall to look at documents. These documents were usually of issues that were of lesser importance and urgency that were not presented during the morning court meetings but still needed Ye An's attention. Then at six in the evening, Ye An would return to the East Palace to have dinner and rest. Throughout her day, Xi Chen stood guard by her side or outside her room.

During the few times she had some spare time in the middle of the day, Ye An even worked with the lieutenant to track down the ministers from the northern region. Since it had already been decided that war was going to happen, Ye An thought that it was all the more reason for her to have the full picture of what had happened ten years ago. When the young lieutenant informed her of his observations on some of the ministers' behavior at court during the vote for war, she was assured that her decision to have the lieutenant as her ally was the right choice.

However, even with the lieutenant's help, every single one of the ministers whom they had managed to track down refused to give them any information. Of course, Ye An could have just released a royal decree to make things easier for her. But the only person who could exert this much power over the ministers that they wouldn't even cooperate with their emperor was the Empress Mother. Ye An knew how brutal the Empress Mother could be if she set her mind to it and could only imagine what would happen to the ministers and their families if they had decided to cooperate. For that reason, Ye An was placing all her bets on Xiao Yan's information in hopes that it was enough.

Almost a week had passed since her promised meeting date with Xiao Yan. Because of that, Ye An decided that it was time to leave the palace again to meet up with her.

In less than a week, the vibrancy of the capital seemed to hum in muted tones. Instead of the usual loud chatter, people were talking in hushed whispers, anxious about the impending war.

The only place in the entire city that still continued to pulsate vibrantly was the red light district. In fact, it had become even livelier in the wake of the war announcement as people were more desperate to escape their distress and worries.

"You don't need to follow me, you know. No one recognizes me here anyways." Ye An seemed to be talking to herself on the busy street.

"Your Imperial Majesty, that is precisely the reason why I'm by your side. There might be people who would take advantage of you because they're unaware that you're the emperor." The man who was a few steps behind her lengthened his stride until they were walking beside each other. Ye An mulled over what the lieutenant had said behind the sheet of white organza that cascaded down her hat and realized that he had a point.