➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘮𝘢𝘴 𝘦𝘷𝘦

—1986—

"No—put the strawberries in, first. Then add the others... yeah, you're doing great. Keep stirring and wait for me, I have to pick up the phone."

"Okay, mom." Mike says as he chuckles a little bit.

Today was the 24th of December, and the Wheeler family were getting ready for dinner as the Byers family were coming over to celebrate Christmas Eve with them. This was their first time celebrating as one, and the teens were really excited about it, especially Mike and Will.

Mike and Will have started dating this summer. They were a secret for about two months, then they came out to their siblings first, and they totally supported them. Nancy and Jonathan were both there for their younger brothers, and finding out about them dating wasn't such a surprise, because they've noticed the sweet relationship between the two since day one.

Then they came out to their parents—well, except for Will's dad. The Byers haven't heard about him in years, which Will was so thankful and happy about. He's always hated his dad, but that's not the point. Joyce was genuinely happy for Will, she didn't show atleast a hint of disappointment or disgust. The fact that she was very easy to read was much more convincing for Will. It felt like a weight of cement blocks fell off his shoulder. He was relieved to know that his whole family—excluding Lonnie—supports him and will love him no matter what.

But what about Mike?

Mike first came out to Nancy, and like what was mentioned, she was very supportive and happy for his brother. Next, he came out to his mom. Alone. She was disappointed at first, but later on she tried to accept it, and so she did. Mike is her son, and she will love him no matter what.

Now, Ted; it wasn't successful at all. Mike came out to him during dinner, and Nancy was holding his brother's hand for reassurance. Ted was not so fond of it; he even nearly flipped the table if Karen didn't stop him. He called Mike names—sensitive slurs—and barged out of the house right away. The Wheeler family weren't in a good mood for a fortnight. Though, Will was there—not in the Wheeler residence, of course—to comfort Mike. Mike would cry and cry and cry as his head buries in Will's neck.

Until the most surprising day came by, when Ted knocked on Mike's bedroom door and sat with him on his bed. He gestured Mike to come closer, then he hugged him. Mike was so shocked, so shocked, that his tears began streaming from his eyes like they were gathered in there and were only waiting for the right time to fall down. Ted rubbed his back and cooed him, telling him it's okay. They sat there for a period of time, Ted apologizing about everything he's said and done, and that he knew he was wrong. Ever since that day, the Wheeler household seemed to be much happier, better and most importantly, healthier than what you'd think.

Now back to the present; it was 3 pm, and the Wheelers were kind of hurrying, even though Joyce have told them they weren't arriving until five thirty or six. They still had about two hours to spare, yet they were acting like it was the last minute.

Karen came back into the kitchen with Mike; who was slowly stirring the dessert he was making.

"That's perfect. Okay, now you shake the bowl lightly, like this," Karen says, showing her tall son how to do it like so. Mike put his hands on the sides of the bowl and followed what his mother was doing. Karen placed the lid on, then put the freezable bowl inside the freezer.

Mike wiped his hands on his light brown pants as he asks, "What else can I do?"

"Hmm," Karen looked around to think of what her son could do. "Nothing, really. Maybe just help your sisters arrange the presents underneath the tree?"