12

The Equalists are on the attack! The Lieutenant and his chi blockers invaded Air Temple Island and forced Tenzin and his family to flee! In the daring escape, Lin Beifong sacrificed herself and saved the airbenders, but she was captured and Amon took her bending away. Now, Team Avatar is in hiding as they await help from General Iroh and the United Forces.

...

"They've sure been gone for a long time," Asami huffs.

She crosses her arms in front of her chest. I know she's really hurt right now, and she doesn't trust Mako or my sister, and she has every right not to, but we're under attack as we speak. I'm pretty sure Mako and Korra aren't somewhere making out right now.

"They'll be back soon," I try to reassure her.

"You two were gone a while," Asami says again.

I look back to see my sister and Mako walking into view. Since the five of us have to keep low, Gommu is letting us stay with him in his underground hide out. Actually, there are a lot of people down here, it's kind of nice. They don't really have much, but they do have each other, and they've managed to create a cute little society of their own here. It's actually really comforting in a way.

"We were doing reconnaissance," Mako snaps.

What an a$$. Honestly, he should just break up with her. He's just leading her on at this point, and it's not fair. Asami has been through enough.

"Whatever," she grumbles.

"Welcome back!" Gommu exclaims happily while jumping in between us. "Hope you worked up an appetite, cause dinner is served!"

...

"Honored to oblige," he says while handing each of us a bowl. "My associates and I heartily oppose Amon's so-called 'Equalist' policies. We got benders and nonbenders living together down here, but do you see us fightin'? No siree; we've figured out how to harmoniously co-exist."

"You are a wise and noble hobo," Bolin says as he takes a bite of the stew. "Mmmm. This is the best-tasting street gruel I've ever had."

"I culled it from the finest dumpsters the city has to offer!"

"Bleh!" Asami and I grimace, and we silently spit it back into our bowl.

Hey, I don't want to be rude, but I draw the line at dumpster stew.

...

It's been a long day. I hadn't realized how much I've missed the Air Temple until now. I hope Pema and the kids are ok. From babysitting to having family dinners, I've spent so much time with them, and now I think of them as my own family. Pema has already birthed four kids, but when Korra and I came, without hesitation she still treated us like we were one of her own, and I guess that's why I'm so protective of her and the kids.

"Can't sleep?" I look to see Asami.

"Oh, hey. No, I'm tired but I just have so much on my mind. What about you?"

"Same here," she answers, taking a seat next to Bud and I. "Mako is busy talking to Korra so..."

"Asami, I am so sorry," I blurt out. "You're my friend, and I never meant to hurt you."

"Why didn't you tell me about the kiss?"

"I didn't really know how. I've never had friends before, I don't know how to deal with something like this. So when it came down to if I should tell you or not, I knew you'd still be hurt. And regardless of my decision, in the end, someone would've end up being mad at me anyways."