Chapter 31

Dedicated to NiniBearCat

Thank you for being sweet and amazing and for being there for me everytime Ilysm❤

Okay, I know I'm like really, seriously, utterly late but... well, I did ask you guys the cure for procrastination 🤷🏼‍♀ XD. I'm really sorry but I'm here now, so, yeah...

Here you go!

---------------------

"I can't feel my legs."

I stumbled backwards hearing this and felt a pair of arms holding me, preventing me from falling down. I didn't have to look back to know who it was. Once again, I was grateful that he was here.

It was silent for while, all of us looking at each other. Dr. Marshall scrunched his face in confusion, and repeated the same movements on her legs, giving her simple instructions like lifting her heels, moving her toes. But Eva shook her head at each one, her eyes filled with tears of frustration as she failed each time.

I couldn't speak. I was still standing there, frozen, as I watched my sister trying and failing to do a task as simple as shaking her feet. I suddenly felt cold when the arms unwound themselves from me. Adrian moved away after giving my shoulder a little squeeze. A part of me wanted to call out to him but I stopped myself. 

Another pair of smaller arms enveloped me into a hug and I looked over to see Allie with tears in her own eyes. I could hear Adrian and Dr. Marshall murmuring in hushed voices but couldn't find the energy or courage to actually listen.

I returned my gaze to Eva and tried to give her a reassuring smile, although I didn't know who I was trying to reassure- her or myself. She looked at me with an expression that felt like a distinct stab in my heart.

Fear.

I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my head as some blurred memories rushed to my mind. Memories of that day when Eva had the same look in her eyes as she had now came flooding in my head and I closed my eyes briefly, hoping for that pain to go away.

I shook my head a little and blinked back the tears threatening to fall as I walked slowly towards my sister. I hated myself for being able to walk at the moment. I sat beside her in the bed, Allie following closely behind and sitting on the other side.

"Eves, I... " She started but I shook my head at her and hugged her tight. Allie joined us from the other side, sharing our pain as well tried to console each other.

A throat clearing made us break our hug and we all looked at Dr. Marshall who was standing near us with Adrian. He gestured me to follow him before leaving the room. Allie gave me a nod and I patted Eva's hair as I followed him outside. Adrian joined me, his hands holding me tight. I didn't stop him because I knew I needed him at the moment.

Both of us followed Dr. Marshall to his cabin where he turned some files and examined Eva's reports. We waited for him to speak for a while but when he didn't, I couldn't stop myself.

"What's wrong with her, doctor? She can't feel her legs. Was the surgery unsuccessful? Is there any other way? There must be something that can be done!" I breathed out the questions, my heart filled with dread as the situation suddenly felt too real when I said it out loud.

Dr. Marshall shook his head a little. Immediately assuming the worse, I opened my mouth to ask him about the alternative ways when he held up his hand, signaling me to stop my flood of thoughts.