Chapter-23

Hello beautiful people,
I'm back!! With an update...!
3051 words,
I hope y'all won't get bored ;)
***********

Nova

“Load these trunks into the carriage too” I ordered one of the guards and he readily complied.

I was currently standing outside the castle gates with twelve guards and the two knights who were leading them. My mind drifted off to the intense passionate kiss I had shared with Nicholas. I wasn’t sure what came over me and I was angry at myself for giving in.

He is a bad person, Nova….he has done a lot of horrible things!
Yet, I find my heart yearning for him.

He agreed to let me go out not before warning me to behave. I stood there like with a flushed face and just nodded as I was unable to meet my eyes with the hot Devil standing in front of me with a cocky smirk on his face.
Ugh! I shouldn’t have kissed him back.
That must have surely boosted his pride and ego.
Pfft! You wouldn’t have been able to resist him even if you wanted to.
Hmm, true that!

“Your Highness, may I ask what is there in those trunks? They seem quite heavy” asked Sir Leon, one of the knights.
I snapped out of my thoughts and gave him a polite smile.
“They contain jewels which I’m planning to distribute among the poor” I half lied.
Sure, there were jewels on the top and in the bottom I had hid all of the equipment and materials I’m planning to drop off at my parents house.
“You are indeed noble, your Highness” said Sir Henry, the other knight.
“Thank you, Sir Henry” I smiled in appreciation.
Ha! I am getting better at lying.
“Your Highness, everything is ready. Shall we proceed?” Sir Leon asked.
“Right away” I said and mounted a horse.

We set off in the direction which led to the city.
Not even twenty minutes had passed and I already missed Nicholas.
Urgh! Why can't I get him off my head?

It was early December and I felt the frosty wind biting my skin as I rode through the woods. I shivered slightly and hugged my body closer due to the cold. Thankfully, I had worn my coat or else hypothermia would have definitely killed me.
We entered the city and I rode towards the bell tower.

“Your Highness, where are we going?” Sir Henry questioned, trying to keep up with my speed.
“I would like to visit a friend’s house first and then we can go around the town and distribute the jewels” I stated.
“As you wish, your Highness” he replied.

I remembered the directions to my parent’s residence and I reached their house in no time. I got off the horse and fixed my coat and messy hair.
Sir Henry and Sir Leon both exchanged curious looks with each other.

“Sir Henry, Sir Leon, I might be in for around an hour. I have made good friends with the old couple living here and they won’t let me off without offering me tea and cookies. I cannot disappoint them” I chuckled and sounded as convincing as possible.
Sir Leon shot a understanding smile while, Sir Henry pondered deeply about something.

“I think I might know these people. They arrived here not less than 6 years ago. I was the one who escorted them to this cottage, as per the King’s orders” he said reminiscing.
6 years ago?
But mom said they were here for the past 18 years, didn’t she?
“Go ahead, your Highness. We’ll wait outside until you are done” Sir Leon said and I nodded.
“I will not be long” I reassured and gave them a thankful smile.

I knocked on the door and my mom opened after a while. Her eyes lit up with joy but soon it vanished when she noticed the soldiers outside.
“It’s okay” I whispered and she gave me a small smile.
I ordered for my trunks to be brought inside and waited till the guards left.
After I closed the door, I heard mom sigh loudly in relief.