SIX

He should never have returned

We were all fine before he came back.

As I said, Zehan's agenda would beget nothing good. Were his actions justified though?

Maybe.

He wanted to get back at those who had ruined his life, those who had betrayed him. How did they betray him? We'd soon find out.

The point is, sometimes you come looking for something and you find a million other things or something else entirely.

We'd soon find out that there's no gain without pain and that sometimes, we need to get hurt for others to heal.

But the question was; how many of us were willing to get hurt so Zehan could heal?

No one was ready.

But we were all fucked over anyway.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

"Zehan Essien cannot come back to this institution!"

"The boy is a potential murderer, we can't possibly let him come back here like nothing happened."

Mrs. Elias didn't know what else to say. It looked like all the teachers were hell-bent on getting rid of Zehan. Whether they were afraid of him or not, she didn't know but one thing was for sure, she couldn't tell them that Monica Essien had paid her off eight months earlier after the incident.

"With all due respect ma, I hope you're not considering letting him come back." The statement from one of the teachers brought the Principal out of her thoughts. She was almost regretting calling the emergency meeting that morning.

"It's very complicated." Mrs. Elias sighed. "The incident with the Essiens last year is uncanny and we didn't really resolve the issue properly talkless of coming to a conclusion. I didn't really think Zehan would come back."

"Who is Zehan? Who are the Essiens?" Esther couldn't help it anymore. She had to ask Kendrick who was seated next to her. "The whole thing is confusing me."

Kendrick sighed before turning to Ms. Isong with a sad expression while the other teachers and Principal bickered at the round table.

"Officially, Zehan and his brother were at the rooftop, playing, when Ismael fell off and died instantly," Kendrick explained.

"And unofficially?" Ms. Isong probed further and Kendrick took his time before replying.

"Unofficially, Zehan pushed his brother to his death."