Sacrifice

The world around him stilled suddenly, the moment he saw the boy fall to the ground. The moment he was too late to catch him.

This couldn't be happening...

It couldn't be.

His hands shook and his legs gave in as soon as he reached the boy's still form, hands clasping at his shoulders, pulling him onto his lap. He'd never begged for anything, but he couldn't stop the helpless pleas and broken sobs as Damian lay dying in his arms...

***

Talia's smirk hitched a little higher as her transport landed before her. Today was the day she was returning to Gotham. Today was the day when Damian would no longer act like a stubborn child, and return to her side. Everything was going to be back as it was, come evening fall.

She pulled her black hood over her head, tugging at it lightly so it covered her eyes, and stepped into the awaiting helicopter. She took a seat as the rest of her league stood around her, holding on to whatever they could, and braced themselves for the takeoff.

The aircraft hovered for a moment as it ascended into the sky, providing Talia with the perfect view of the fortress in the early morning hours. She caught a glimpse of a shadow watching them from below-- a shadow whom she could only guess was her father. She couldn't see his face-- couldn't see what expression lay there-- but she kept her eyes on him, even as she grew further and further away from him until he was nothing but a black mark on a grassy landscape. Nevertheless, she held her unblinking eyes on him, knowing he was doing the same.

It would be a while before they reached their destination, so Talia busied herself with sharpening her sword. She truly hoped she wouldn't have to use it-- that Bruce would finally wisen up and let Damian go willingly with her. But she knew it would not be that simple a task as embracing her estranged son as lovingly as she could, and walking off into the sunset as though her life was a damn fairytale. Some blood may have to be shed in order to get what she came for, and she swore she would not be leaving without Damian by her side.

***

Bruce stared blankly at the papers that bore his signature, his finger trailing over the dried ink. He cursed quietly to himself as he let the papers slip from his grasp and watched silently as they scattered across his desk. He let his head fall into his calloused hands with a sigh; he had spent the majority of the morning convincing himself that what he was doing was the right thing. It wasn't as though he could stop Talia from taking Damian anyway; she's his mother. And Bruce is what to him exactly? An almost adoptive father? Even if Bruce were to change his mind, there would be nothing he could do, he had no legal right to the boy.

If he had only done it sooner... If so much hadn't gotten in the way...

A frigid knock on the office door interrupted his thought process and he moved to stand, letting out his frustration and regret with a sigh. He picked up the papers and neatly placed them on the shelf behind his chair, just above the fireplace. The knock came again, faster this time and filled with impatience.

"I'll be down in a moment, Alfred," Bruce assumed, taking into account that the only other person here was Damian and he doubted the boy would willingly step foot in the same room as him. Not that Bruce could blame him, the words he'd said to Damian had been harsh, and if he had to be completely honest, his words had been rash-- spoken in an unthinking moment. Frankly, there was nothing Bruce regretted more.

The door rushed open behind him, heavy footsteps following in its wake. A flicker of annoyance overtook Bruce suddenly and he found himself slumping over slightly as he released a heavy sigh; he just wanted a moment to himself.