57

~ phoenix ~

Ilya was the strongest person I knew.

He took up his mantle without complaint even though he didn't want this either...

And when it was my turn to accept fate? I fucked up.

His firm hand on my shoulder spun me around and his rough fingers tilted my eyes to his.

"I need you too, baby," he murmured, softly.

The pads of his thumbs gently caressed my cheeks, wiping away the tears.

"But I don't deserve you," I whispered, looking down.

I heard his long exhale.

"Before you, Phoenix, I was just like my father. I had nothing but this Mafia to live for. It made me cruel," he breathed, voice faraway. "But now, I have you and that's making me better."

Each word brought a knife of finality down on my heart. I knew what I wanted.

"I love you, Ilya. I love you so so so much," I professed, dragging his face down to mine.

When he was just a breath away, his eyes so open and vulnerable, I said it again.

With a smile, he closed the distance, pressing a sweet, soft kiss against my lips.

"I love you, Phoenix," he returned, contentedly.

My tears evaporated. In that kiss, I was home, where I belonged.

"When we leave, take us home," I said, staring into his silver pools and seeing my reflection.

He nodded, hoisting me up on his waist.

"And then," I began, hesitantly, "I want a proper ceremony. One that won't be interrupted."

At my words, Ilya's grip tightened around my hips. "Ceremony?" he repeated heatedly.

Inhaling a deep breath, I said, "Marry me."

Ilya seemed unphased, eyes boring into mine.

"Will you marry me?" I tried again.

Finally, in a deep, raspy voice, he said: "That's my line."

"Well, you were taking too long," I countered sassily in an attempt to conceal my nerves.

"Was I now?"

"Yeah, I waited!"

Teasingly, his nose brushed mine. "Patience, baby," he chided with a low chuckle.

"Ilya!" I complained.

Eventually, after a long moment of staring me down, he said, "Да."

Wait, what? My mind whirred for a second until I remembered. Da meant yes!

Before I could celebrate, he disappeared from the bathroom. I heard him shuffle through drawers in the bedroom, before he returned baring a gift. Ilya reached for my hand, brandishing a glittering diamond.

"I can't-"

"It was my mother's," he interrupted softly.

Instantly, my mouth clamped shut and any protest evaporated from my lips.

I admired the sophisticated ring with awe and I felt him search my face for a reaction. With an excited grin, I smashed my lips to his. It didn't take long for him to reciprocate.

"Did I mention-" I murmured against his lips, "-that I love you?"

He grunted. "Quite a few times actually."