forty

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗬
( 𝘍𝘈𝘐𝘛𝘏. )

WHEN MURPHY CAUGHT SIGHT OF ALEXANDRIA'S WALLS, she froze

WHEN MURPHY CAUGHT SIGHT OF ALEXANDRIA'S WALLS, she froze. The breathing caught in her chest, and the very air around the four grew as thick as fog. The watchtower was burnt, black, and crumbling. A truck had driven straight through and sat parked in the rubble. She could hear no noise from inside the community, so she assumed the worst. Murphy shared a look with Michonne, who had an unreadable expression upon her face. Michonne wanted a home as much as any of them, and even worse, she had experienced returning to find nothing left before.

Other buildings that lined Alexandria's walls were also burnt. They were as black as coal. No fire started on accident could have done this. This was an attack. Debris littered the ground on which they stepped, pieces of what they called refuge scattered about like leaves from a dying tree. It was painful- the anticipation was enough to drive anyone mad. What was left of the community? As they made their way around the walls, it relieved them to discover no breaches. The gate remained sealed when they approached to enter the place they knew had changed.

Scott leaned heavily upon Heath, his leg still giving him excruciating pain. Murphy supported him on the other side. Michonne led the way, her sword drawn, expecting anything when they entered. The gate screeched as whoever inside slid it open. Murphy felt herself sigh in relief when she saw that it was Maggie, a rifle strapped over her back and a look of great expectation upon her face.

"Thank god," she began, urging them inside. "You guys are safe."

Scott set a hand on Murphy's shoulder once the gate closed behind them, signaling that he was okay to walk alone with Heath.

"Get to the infirmary, I'll meet you there," Murphy assured to the two before turning back to Maggie.

Michonne engulfed Maggie in a hug, which gave Murphy a chance to look around. When she realized what had happened, she raised a hand to her mouth, her eyes immediately beginning to burn. Bodies were strewn all over the street. Puddles of blood surrounded their lifeless corpses. Alexandrians carted the people away, doing their best to eradicate any semblance of what had happened. Murphy gasped when Maggie touched her arm.

"What happened?" Murphy whispered.

Maggie shook her head and pulled her close, "The wolves came. They had w's carved into their foreheads- some sort of cult. We took care of 'em. We lost too many."

When Murphy pulled away, she sniffed and nodded. Horrific incidents such as this began to numb the pain. It was always shocking. Just when you thought humanity could not be more violent and primitive... they never cease to amaze and do so. Murphy left her hands on Maggie's shoulders, not knowing how to break it to her that her husband might not be with them any more. Rosita jogged over to the three.

"Is everyone okay? Murph?" she asked, breathlessly.

"Hey, Rose," Murphy muttered, pulling her into a hug as well. But as they broke apart, her eyes widened as a sudden realization hit her. "The infirmary?"