Chapter Thirteen: Inclinations

When he squeezed her palm, Thell nearly burst into tears, too overwhelmed with joy to say anything. His hand was more secure and warm than she had ever imagined, cradling hers like a perfect fit. His other hand was holding one of those purple flowers she loved so much, like the one he had left on her pillow. He moved slowly, surely, like the bounty hunter he was, moving to tuck her hair behind her ear and put the flower in its place.

That's when the tears came, because all her dreams of the past two, nearly three months were coming true. The dreams she had had all her life, to have someone to see her.

The music was soft even for it being so close by, and he slowly tugged her closer. Thell's feet could hardly move until he squeezed her palm, and she focused back on his helmet.

Din had always been large, even the first night they met. It intimidated her at first, but slowly she had just come to admire it. He was a good foot taller than her, and could probably squeeze her to death if they hugged too tight.

But she wasn't scared, because his hold on her hand was gentle, and she knew how kind he was underneath. He was silent for a long time, just looking down at her and squeezing her hand every now and then, as if to remind himself that she was actually still there. Finally, he spoke, and tilted his head down to Thell's.

"I'm sorry I rejected your hand the other night. I was... nervous of what I felt."

Thell blinked rapidly as more tears came, and shook her head.

"It's okay," she whispered, squeezing his hand reassuringly "I understand completely."

"I... I don't really dance, Thell," Din said, somewhat shakily. "I'm good with a blaster but hell with moving my feet on rhythm. I'd look like a womp-rat on sticks."

Thell laughed, louder than she had intended, and slapped her free hand over her mouth. She listened for a long moment to the musicians, but they had not ceased playing. Satisfied for the moment, she looked back up at Din.

"Well, that's alright," she said, smiling. "I'm okay with just holding your hand, too."

"Can I be honest?" He asked quietly, having to tilt her head to look up at him.

"Of course."

But the Mandalorian paused, and his vision was somewhere over Thell's head. Trepidation crept up her spine as her eyebrows creased, and suddenly the grip on her hand went loose.

"Din?" She whispered.

"Get the kid," was his only reply, and Thell did without hesitation. She slid back beside Din, going to touch his arm.

"What's going on?" She asked urgently. All seemed still in the garden, like it had been, even with the music playing. But Din had retrieved his weapons and jet pack, even holding his blaster in his hand as he stood tensely.

"There's someone coming," he said. "Get behind me."

She did, cautiously peering past his arm raised with the blaster. She wrapped the kid under her cloak, rubbing his ear when he murmured softly.

But to her greatest relief, the only person that showed themselves were two young kids. They looked like royalty, dressed in gleaming satin robes and frizzy hair done up properly. At the first sight of them, the Mandalorian dropped his blaster, and Thell exhaled, feeling her heart calm.

As they rounded the corner, their eyes widened as they caught sight of the three. They couldn't have been older than seven or eight, one girl and a boy with matching eyes and hair. Grogu made a small noise at their arrival, perking his ears. Din was still tense, Thell noticed, so she squeezed his arm.