No One Cares About Me Anymore

The author writing an author's note. Very special, I know. But I don't THINK this has any triggers? Idk. Uh. This is from Tommy's stream titled "Wasting Away", turned out to be my most popular fic on Ao3 lol

------

"Does it taste nice?" Tommy asked quietly. He looked around him at the silent island, then looked back at the man in front of him.

"Yeah! Go ahead and have a piece." Dream gave him a grin, but Tommy knew it was fake. "It's good." He stared at the cake, but his mind was elsewhere. "Take a slice."

Tommy turned away bitterly and muttered, "I've lost my appetite."

There was a slight pause. The silence seemed louder in that moment, the water softly lapping against the sand.

"Alri-"

Tommy whipped his head up, looking towards Dream sadly. "Dream, no one's here."

There was another moment of quiet, the wind rustling through the leaves of the trees. "I don't know why," Dream said, turning away from Tommy. Tommy's brain spun, and he wondered briefly if Dream had taken the books from everyone's chests, and that was why no one was here.

Dream wouldn't do that, his brain said.

Tommy knew that he would.

"I guess I'm most surprised Tubbo's not here, 'cause..." Dream trailed off, as though he couldn't find a reason within him as to why Tubbo would show up.

"Tubbo... Tubbo skived my party," Tommy said defeatedly. He understood why. Tubbo wouldn't want to see him, of all people.

He looked at Dream angrily. "Why is no one here? They promised they'd be here, Dream! Dream- they said- they promised!" His throat burned, and he knew he was yelling at this point, but he didn't care. "This was my party, they were all- everyone knows, Wilbur told Tubbo, he told him in person! Did you- did you see?" He reached Dream in one swift motion and shook his shoulders desperately. He only wanted to know why, why no one had shown up.

"Yeah, no, I was there when he told him," Dream said quietly, casually, carelessly, even. He wriggled out of Tommy's grip. "I mean, most of the people, he left- he left books for, in chests in their house, but I don't think they could have missed it, but maybe, I guess." He thought that maybe Wilbur hadn't left them the invitations, either out of anger or because he forgot, and he immediately regretted thinking such a thing. Wilbur loved Tommy; why would he cause him more pain?

Tommy stood in sad silence, his features resting in a devastated glare.

"They might've. But- Tubbo, I saw him tell him, but..." Dream looked at him. "Everyone else, I mean... yeah, I know... I know right now, I'm pretty sure Philza and Ranboo are both invited."

Tommy turned away with a quiet sigh as Dream continued talking. "I don't think Lazar was, but..."

They stood silently again, listening to the sounds of nature around them.

"And it's just-" Tommy cut himself off. "You're the only-" His eyes stung, and he choked back a sob. "It's just you."

Dream looked at the sand uncomfortably and said, "I mean, I was- I was late, but-"

"And you were late," Tommy said disappointedly.

"Well, I tried to get here on time, but I was just running a little late," Dream said, and Tommy heard a hint of anxiousness thrown into his tone. "A little off-schedule."

Yet another moment of silence ensued, and Dream said hurriedly, "I figu- I mean, I figured you'd care the least if I wasn't here, so I didn't mind being a little late because everyone else would be here, but..."