Sliding Spiders: Part 1

Earth 69 (The Fantastic Spider-Man Earth)

Hi, my name is Parker Peterson. I am 18 years old, and for the last few months, I have been helping New Amsterdam City as the superhero Spiderman! I got bit by a genetically engineered and radioactive spider while urban spelunking in the ruins of the Baxter Building. Mr. Fantastic must have made the spider, or something because there is no other way that thing could have existed.

The Fantastic 4 have been at the Four Freedoms Plaza for a while now and noticed my heroics on the streets. They have been in talks with me about joining them, maybe out of guilt --- or for some other reason --- and becoming a member! They also said that I could work with them at their lab as well! I can't wait!

Mr. Fantastic said that he already made me a new and improved suit then the homemade one I normally wear. I am all for that! My suit makes the organic web shooters on my wrists very itchy as of late. Either that or something else is happening. Mr. Fantastic said that he would give me a physical when I come in for my suit.

I woke up that morning feeling more invigorated than I ever had been in my life. I finally get to do some good while working for Mr. Fantastic. My Grandma May and Grandpa Ben do not know of course that I am Spiderman but I will tell them once the Fantastic 4 gives me the okay.

"I am so excited that you got a job working for that nice rich man working over at that Plaza", Grandma May asked giving me a hug and kiss as I came down the stairs, "What was his name again dear?"

"Reed Richards May, his name is Reed Richards," Grandpa Ben said to us as he gave me a deep hug, "He has been all over the TV and in every newspaper and magazine ever since he had come out as a superhero. Not that I have anything against them but their heroics can be annoying, and troubling. Because of that Spider Fellow, I was stuck in a taxi on the Amsterdam Bridge."

"That is why you should have taken the Brooklyn Bridge instead!" May retorted.

I stood there and gave a nervous chuckle.

"I am and have everything ready", I told them, "I better get going because I do not want to be late!" I was wearing my homemade suit under my clothes and had my mask in a back bag.

"Sounds good dear!" May spoke embracing me once more, "And good luck!"

"Yes, yes!" Grandpa Ben added, "Knock them dead on your first day!"

"See you both later! Love you!" I hurried out of the house to the bus stop.

One bus and two subways later, I am standing outside the Four Freedoms Plaza. My heart is pounding from the excitement to train with, learn from, and fight alongside some of the best superheroes in the country! While doing the proper procedure to register with the company and building and get my I.D., an alarm started blaring.

"Mr. Richards is at it again with his experiments." The security guard told me shaking his head.

"What is he working on this time?" I asked.

"Who knows with that guy. I just hope that he does not blow up this building like he did with the last one." The guard snorted.

I laughed in return. "Yeah, same here! What could go wrong on my first day?"

"A lot, kid, a lot. But good luck anyway!"

I got in the elevator and rode it up to one of the top floors. The elevator stopped and opened to a large room filled with lab equipment, machinery, and other stuff. I got out and was greeted by Mr. Fantastic and The Invisible Women.

"Hello and welcome!" Mr. Fantastic beamed with stretched-out arms that proceeded to hug, wrap, and bring me in closer.

Surprised, I smiled and hugged him back saying "Thank you, Mr. Richards".