Toriel's Leftovers

There's a saying Underground, about a breakup. When someone went around fast, dating and dropping others like flies, they weren't in the relationships for love. No, for their own desires. Sex, money, or perhaps the simple idea of dating another, without bothering to put the needed effort in. The saying went "A five course costumer with leftovers about". Sometimes monsters would whisper about people, pointing to the customer in the relationship. The one who would go around, taking small bites of a monsters personality and life during a relationship, and discard them like leftover food. Leftovers was what the other monsters were called.

Sans never did imagine he would ever be the leftover, in any situation. He loved Toriel. And by loved, he meant it. Sans adored her. Put the woman up on a pedestal. One too high, he realized far late after nights of being pushed aside in favor of anything else Toriel wanted to do. Many times he'd leave dates alone, because she never showed. Papyrus was often viewed as innocent, naive, but he noticed the signs earlier than anyone else. "She's a customer, Sans, you might become a leftover," Papyrus warned him one day. Sans didn't listen.

After the screaming ended did Sans finally realize it was over. Toriel cheated on him. With multiple men, Sans had been told. She decided to tell him that before the breakup, revealing she was going to date one of those men instead.

Sans was a leftover. Her leftover. Someone she played with, then cast aside once she felt full of his flavor.

People in the monster population often pointed the fingers to Asgore for the faults of the relationship. When the drama of Toriel cheating on Sans spread, people quickly dropped those fingers. The common factor in the two terrible relationships was Toriel, after all. It didn't take much thought to know that she likely screwed up her previous relationship as well.

"Are you okay?" Grillby would ask every time Sans visited the bar.

"Yeah," Sans lied like clockwork, soul humming in pain.

Being a leftover boyfriend was never really a good feeling for anyone. He was just used, she didn't really want him for real. She did love him, she had claimed on their break up night, but not anymore. And instead of breaking the ties when the love died, she strung him along for show, so she wouldn't be seen as single. Gee, that sure made up for it, Sans would think in the dead of night with a sarcastic growl. Glad to see that him being dragged through the mud like a setpiece of a play made her feel a little bit better than possibly being single. The horror.

Sans finally listened to his brothers advice, and asked to meet with Asgore. It was a good call, of course his bro was right. The only other person that could understand would be the previous leftover of Toriel.

"Had she cheated on you as well?" Sans asked.

Asgore paused, narrowing his gaze onto his teacup like it had murdered him in a past life, then finally nodded. "Yes. With a few monsters during our marriage. There was even a good chance Asriel wasn't even my biological child. I stayed, though. I always thought she would get better. A fools belief."

Good thing Sans let the ball drop on that relationship, then. He sighed, gulping down black coffee.

"Have you been getting sleep? I hadn't slept for a month after our divorce."

"Nah. I keep thinkin' about her."

Asgore rumbled with disapproval, before he brought out a pencil and paper. "Let me write down some items I used to help me sleep after my divorce..."

That's how the meetings started. On Saturdays, Sans would arrive on the cusp of a sunrise, greeting Asgore with a similarly tired face that he held. They'd stay, and Sans was always offered breakfast. On the fourth meeting, Sans walked in to find a breakfast already made in preparation for him.