The First Part

Sophie didn't expect to be eating lunch on the last day of high school, alone, in the bathroom of all places. Granted, the cafeteria wasn't much cleaner, but it was still the bathroom. Sure it was cliche, but she was almost positive that no one would come looking for her in the bathroom. Especially not him.

Was it selfish of her? To be hiding from her friends on the last day of school just so she wouldn't hurt herself more? So she wouldn't make a fool of herself?

So they wouldn't see her crying?

Yeah, it was stupid and childish and wrong and she hated it. Hated it. But she couldn't stop the waterworks.

Sophie didn't know she would break down when she saw the pictures of all of the graduates on the hallway walls when she walked into school that morning. Her face and her friends' faces scattered among the thousand-something teens graduating that year. The walls that had been the home for many posters and pieces of work and trophies and awards and messages throughout her four years at Foxfire High.

It was a strange thought that it would all be a distant memory soon. She'd go to college, become a lawyer, invest herself in the government- maybe even become a mayor or representative; only time would tell, but Sophie knew that she wanted to help others. And one thing was for sure as she sat alone, with her phone in her hands, wondering if she should call her mom to pick her up early: she was helping her friends from staying away from them. She was helping everyone, herself included.

She was sparing them from the mess of her heartbreak.

Creeeeeeek, the bathroom door whined, alerting Sophie of a new student's presence in the bathroom. "Sophie? Are you in here?" Sophie willed herself not to cry out, to stay absolutely still. Of course, it was to no avail as Sophie heard Biana's heeled shoes click-clack on the tiled floor. Just ignore her, Sophie thought to herself. Soon they wouldn't even remember her, she'd be a distant memory when they all went to the same college without her. When they undoubtedly made friends and had fun without her. Because she wasn't going to make friends; it was a miracle she had friends right now. She was so grateful that someone had spared a second glance.

It had been Biana who came to her rescue on the third day of high school. It was kind of ironic actually as Biana had found her for the first time in a bathroom. Crying, because she had no friends. The same bathroom Sophie sat in now, crying because she had friends.

Because she was worried about losing them.

She was sitting alone in the stall furthest from the door. The kids in her math class had bullied her for being a nerd and already knowing what they were all learning. She'd raced out of the classroom as soon as the bell ringed, desperately trying to find a sanctuary.

Biana had followed her. To this day, Sophie didn't understand why. Biana claimed it was because she knew the 'too-pretty-for-her-own-good-blonde needed saving,' and she never let Sophie live it down.

While she always hit Biana's arm playfully when the subject was brought up, Sophie was eternally thankful. Although, she never really understood Biana's phrasing. Sophie was never one to really care about looks, but she always hated how average she looked. Why did Biana call her pretty? She had boring brown eyes and common blonde hair, not to mention she was quite short which really only helped her get lost in a crowd. All of her friends had something that made them stand out at a first glance. Something that caused a passerby, to not just pass by. Something that caused them to walk over, introduce themselves.

For Biana, it was how strikingly gorgeous she was. Always bouncing and giggling, any guy- or girl -would be stupid not to say hello. Of course, she shared her stunning teal eyes with her equally good looking brother, Fitz. Fitz also was incredibly handsome, and Sophie had to admit, the teal eyes looked just a teensy bit better on Fitz- she'd never tell Biana that of course. Linh was just so kind and gracefully beautiful in her own way. Plus, she always had Tam by her side, and they contrasted each other but were also similar. Their silver-tipped hair also caught the eyes of the passersby. Then Dex, her kinda-cousin. Rather than being 'hot' or handsome Dex was what Sophie would describe as 'cute.' He also had dimples on his cheeks- a fact Sophie never let him forget.