The Teacher

"Have you seen the new professor yet? His name's Mr. Chris Hayes." My best friend Erika asked me, waving goodbye to her boyfriend David as she swung her backpack over her shoulder from the back seat of her car.

I shook my head in response, lost in my own thoughts. "No, should I have?" I asked with a curious tone, keeping up with her fast pace to our psychology class.

She scoffed. "Duh, I wouldn't be asking otherwise. I love David, don't get me wrong, but if Mr. Hayes asked to rail me, I'd bend over in a second for that man. He's not ancient like the rest of the professors around here." She crinkled her nose as she sipped the last of her coffee and tossed it into a trash can, almost missing.

I nearly spit out my own coffee at her comment, surprised by her vulgar answer. Erika wasn't known to be the bad girl stereotype; she was more like the quiet and shy girl who was still with her high school sweetheart and never spoke out of turn. She barely even cussed; she was a goody-goody. Hearing her speak about hooking up with our new psychology professor was a shock, especially to me, and I was her best friend. "Wow, okay then." I managed, wiping dribbled coffee off of my chin as we walked into the building and down the hallway. "That handsome huh?"

"Mmhmm." She pushed some of her brown hair over her shoulder as we continued fast paced walking down the hallway.

"Shit, we're going to be late!" I realized as I looked down at the watch on my wrist. "We need to hurry; I told you that you didn't have an extra five minutes to kiss David!" Erika shrugged nonchalantly, slipping the other back pack strap over her shoulder as she prepared to walk faster. Erika and I sped up, practically sprinting down the hallway as we passed students and teachers, who gave us funny looks for walking so fast. A few professors told us to slow down, but we paid them no attention, and pretended as if we hadn't heard them.

The bell rang about a minute later and we tumbled into the classroom about thirty seconds after it did so; almost all of the seats were taken, save fix or six in the front row. A few drops of coffee had splashed onto my shirt from my Starbucks cup due to our quick pace, and I cursed at myself for not bringing a spare top today like I normally did when I went to the gym after classes.

"Ladies, would you care to join us in your seats?" A low voice sounded from the front of the room, and my heart skipped a beat as I turned to face the person who spoke; Erika wasn't lying in the slightest when she described this man.

Mr. Hayes was tall, with dark brown hair and bright blue eyes that seemed to sparkle. His muscles could be seen through his shirt, and my mouth watered at the idea of undoing the buttons on it; it was obvious that this man hit the gym more than once a week. Light scruff gave him a shadowed effect on his facial features, and it somehow made him seem more brooding and intimidating. His eyebrows looked so perfectly in shape that I wondered if he had gotten them done professionally somewhere, but I dismissed the idea of asking him where. He wore khakis with a blue and white striped button down, sharp dark brown dress shoes, and a plain watch on his wrist. He oozed an aura of professional and powerful; it made my stomach twist and turn itself into knots.

He raised an eyebrow at both of us and cleared his throat expectantly; it was at this point I realized that we were just staring at him blankly, our jaws practically on the floor. "What are your names?" He asked, his voice just as low as it had been a moment ago. His eyes looked me up and down for a moment, and I swore that I saw them linger in a few select places more than just once.

"Erika and Morgan." I managed, my voice surprisingly steady. My legs shook underneath of me as I stared at him.

"Be on time next class please, I don't tolerate tardiness Erika and Morgan. Now, take your seats." His eyes narrowed at the both of us, and I gulped anxiously. A chorus of giggling and snickers emanated from the other students, who had already claimed their spots.

"Y-yes sir," I mumbled, grabbing Erika's wrist and beginning to pull her towards two of the empty seats in the front row. We slid into our seats, placing our bags on the ground as we did so.

"Do you see my point? I mean he seems a little rough around the edges but damn, if he isn't fine." Erika whispered to me behind her hand as we took our seats; all I could do was nod as our new professor took out a pair of glasses and slid them on.

The way he looked at me made my skin crawl; in the good kind of way. I suddenly found myself attempting to smooth down my tangled red hair and wrinkled white button down shirt. The coffee stain now on the front of it made me blush; it wasn't how I wanted to present myself. I didn't consider myself an unattractive woman by any means; I had a nice figure, if not a little bit curvy then close enough, and I was tall enough to be a model if I wanted to be. But next to this man I felt like the most unattractive person in the world; people who looked like him weren't professors. They were models or movie stars or singers, I decided as I took out my textbook. What got him stuck in this small town?

Mr. Hayes began to talk about the different functions of the brain and their names, and how they might relate to every day activities. But I could hardly focus on his words and their meanings; I had to shake myself out of some day dreams a couple of times in order to catch up on my notes. A few times I could have sworn that he made eye contact with me and held it, but the moment would pass so quickly that I couldn't tell if I was imagining it or not.

By the time the bell rang I was practically ready to sprint out of the room; I felt hot and like someone had been breathing down my neck for the last hour and a half. Before I reached the door, Mr. Hayes's voice stopped me. "Ms. Morgan?"

I turned to face him, and he looked hesitant before he spoke as our gazes met. "Maybe walk next time you're running late... I don't want you ruining another blouse." His eyes held a twinkle in them; I couldn't tell if he was mocking me or not. He gestured to what I assumed was the coffee stain and I blushed, clearing my throat.

"Yes sir," I finally managed. Erika caught up with me at that moment in time, although she still held a few spare papers in her hands from the lecture.

A look of confusion was written on her features as I quickly ducked out of the room, and she followed closely behind. "Are you alright?" She asked as she finally caught up to me in the hallway. "This isn't about him yelling at us for being late is it?" She inquired, shoving a piece of paper from class messily into her backpack.

"No, not at all," I managed in response. "Just... He was more attractive and intimidating than I thought he was going to be," I admitted with a sigh as I finally felt some of the pressure on my chest release the farther we got away from the classroom.

She scoffed. "I noticed; you were practically drooling over him the entire time class was in session." Her tone was joking, but for some reason it stung a little bit to hear that from her. She didn't normally make fun of me.

"I was not," I argued as I pulled my car keys out of my bag, a defensive bite to my voice.

She laughed a little bit as she did the same; whether she chose to ignore the edge in my tone or simply didn't hear it I wasn't sure. "Whatever you say Morgan... I'll see you Monday!" Erika yelled the last part over her shoulder as we walked out of the double doors to our cars; she practically skipped off to hers, while I walked in the opposite direction to mine.

Images of dazzling blue eyes and tall men with muscles talked to me in my daydreams; I couldn't wait until Monday's class.

There will be a part two to this, obviously, let me know if you guys have any requests! Thank you!