Part 1: Must Get Over This

Mom, what the hell?!

My brows arch and eyes secretly narrowing down my mother. She is asking me to do such a thing that I normally wouldn't do. Nonetheless, couldn't do.

She must have grown eyes on her back when she suddenly says, "Oh, grow up. El, this is just one thing. One simple thing."

It's not as simple as you think. The complaints are glued to my tongue. I am unable to blurt out all what I am thinking. My mother continues to wash the dishes as I stand behind her.

It could also be perhaps the motherly instincts that allows her to know what I feel. Although the uncertainty and doubtfulness hinder, she utters the words I dare not hear for another time.

From that point, I become determined that everything she said earlier were all just coincidences.

She tells the exact same words I grow tired of hearing ever since I have gained awareness of how the world actually works.

"If your father and I are gone, what will happen to you, huh? Are you just going to stand there and wait for God's grace to fall down upon you? My goodness, Eloise. You are already a big girl and you are still acting what? Seven?!"

Dear mother, if you could only hear my thoughts, you'd know by now that I can do anything you think I can't. I can say words you think I won't. I can become someone else entirely and you'd never recognize me.

I scoff, walking back to my room. I make sure that the door is locked before plopping on my bed and burying my face on the cushions.

Teeth marks shroud my bottom lip, trying to stop my tears from falling. I hate how I'm always like this. How I could never restrain my emotions, specifically my sadness and anger.

First thing in the morning and my mother delivered "good news" for me.

A few days ago, Dad told me about a friend coming to stay with us for a year. He also shared some stories about how they were both buddies back in highschool, did crazy stuff together and still stayed as best of friends in college.

One time, Dad proclaimed how that buddy refused to take the first day of their examination.

My father said he thought that his friend wouldn't do it so Dad joined him. They concocted a scheme to put that monstrous day to a halt. Unexpectedly, that friend of his did as they "planned" and set the whole school on fire. Their strategy burned the whole school down. The authorities, on the other hand, never found out who did it.

I always find it funny. It inspires me to do the same once. In the end, I couldn't do it and perhaps never will. Not when I had a reputation to keep up and friends to keep by my side. Without both, I'd be ruined to the point where I would rather stay in a dark hole than go out where the light has always been.