Chapter 1 Reaping

This is my first year of reaping... I've been hoping for this day to come but at the same time dreading this. Damion, my father, has trained me ever since I could walk, saying that it was for my own safety. I know he's from District 2 and trained for the Hunger Games, only to never get picked. He said to me one day that he got beaten out by a kid that died in the bloodbath, lovely right. So he trained me to be the next victor of District 2 only to be stationed at District 10. Not like I'm complaining and he is not either, he says this way I will be known for being a victor of a poverty ridden district.

"Ashton I know it's your first reaping but I want you to volunteer," My father said not even looking at me. I was taken back because my father said to never volunteer until I'm 18. This was unusual for my father to change plans.
"But father," I said, trying to reason with him.
"No you will do as I say and when I say it." He said with a hint of anger but keeping his voice steady. I could tell that his wheels were turning hard because he didn't want to let me go. He loved me no matter how much he pushed me or beat me for not being on time which never happened. I learned at a young age that being late sucked and the punishments were worse than messing up.

I walked into the town hall steadily with a monotone look on my face, trying to hide my real feelings. Pricing my finger hurts less than a knife which trust me I know how that feels. Scars ran basically everywhere on me, from me being clumsy and dropping it on myself or once again being clumsy and falling. I'm 6'1 and barely 12 years old so yeah being clumsy is in my name. Walking over to the row of twelve year olds I stood out, in District 10 the tallest people ever got was about 6'0. Some got 6'3 and I was told that I would hit 6'6. Way taller than everyone in this district. My dad was 6'5 and my mom 6'5 when she died, so the genes went around. Lucci, District 10's escort, came on the stage with her tall heels but even with the tall heels she was barely 5'4. She had a huge coat because it was cold and there were mountains everywhere. But the coat was made of poodle hair and she had a wig that was bright pink matching the rest of her makeup.

"Welcome to the 73rd annual Hunger Games,"

she said with her squeaky capital voice. The video played and I paid no interest to it for it's low key depressing. Lucci seemed to love it as she clapped after it finished. "Let's pick the tributes now," Everything went into slow motion for me, my heart was beating out of my chest.

"Lilly Roder," Lucci said as if she was trying to say it right. My mouth moved before my heart could stop it.

"I volunteer as tribute." I said and the District went quiet. Everyone looked at me as if I'd killed the mayor. I walked up and I shot the girl that I'd just volunteered for a glance, she looked at me with respect and thankfulness. I walked up the stairs slowly and suspensefully, mostly to keep myself from falling. Yes I trained since birth for this and have the muscle to do this, that doesn't mean I can't be a klutz.

"What's your name and how old are you," Lucci asked with a concerned look on.

"I'm Sebastian Ryker and I'm 12 years old." I muttered while looking at the floor. I was scared and weak, since I'm twelve years old. Everyone at District 10 knew who I was and knew that I was their best shot at winning the games. They all acted sad and my best friend Lukus started yelling and saying I was too young. He was 13 but that didn't stop us from being the best of friends. Lucci my looked at me with pity but went on to the boys.

"Spencer Winter," a boy in the eighteen section came out, he was short and stocky but you could tell that he had no shot of winning.

"Now you two shake hands," Lucci urged. Spencer stuck his hand out and I shakingly met it, he squeezed my hand tight as if he was trying to scare me. I already look scared I don't need a sprained hand. Peacemakers took me and Spencer into separate rooms for our family to see us one last time. I thought that it was pointless for me to be here because no one was going to visit me.

The door clicked all of a sudden, I turned abruptly and trapped on my feet, falling right on the hard, frozen couch beside me. I heard laughter so I looked up to see Lilly standing there looking at me with her bright blue eyes and red hair. At 10 we are all mostly short, red heads, and green or blue eyes, so me and my dad stand out in a crowd.

"What do you want," I said while attempting to stand up, the key word in that sentence was attempting to.

"I want to thank you for saving me back there, even though I'm eighteen... I wouldn't survive nearly as long as you would." She confessed knowing how much I've been through having a career father.

"I also would like you to have this," she held out a charm necklace.

"It's my mom's charm necklace and I want you to wear this, and give it back when you win." Lilly said with full confidence that I had a shot.

"Lilly, I would be honored to wear this. I also have something to share," I paused, not ready for anyone to know other than my father. Everyone in all of Panem knew that if you were born on reaping day, you were automatically killed for reaping is primary focus. Can't have family's focused on birthdays and not the hunger games.
"I'm only 11, my birthday is on the start of the games but capital rules state that it counts. I'm the only one in Pamen with this birthday, all others are killed." I ranted trying to look everywhere else but her face, when I finally did she said.

"Holy cow you are super tall," noting that I'm over a foot taller than Lilly herself. She hugged me right as the guard came in announcing that her time was up. I waited for a minute, counting every second, at exactly 60 seconds the door opened to show Lukus rushing in. He hugged him the whole time until he muttered something in my ear.

"Win." One word but to me it meant more than a thousand words. That was the last person to see me so I was pushed into the train of death. Ever since the last victor, Nolan Luther of the 64th annual hunger games. But since then it's just been the train of death, the tributes go on the train but never make the trip back. District 10 has the farthest distance other than District 12.

Both of those districts are in the mountains and get below freezing every winter. He came into the train cart that both me and Spencer were sitting, terrified for our well being. Nolan was the District wacko and it shocked everyone that he was the only winner of District 10. Our district was peaceful and the only weapons we had were when the peace keepers wanted them knives sharpened. The capital didn't want the people to have knives so they hired peacekeepers to kill the animals and skin them, the others had to carry the heavy loads. If people had knives then chaos could happen, the Capitol didn't want chaos cause that's uncontrollable.

I was an exception, for no one really knew I had them, other than my dad.

The worlds about to see what happens when fire starts falling and water starts burning...

1362 words